460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an engine (545 ci SVO block, A460 heads. I am changing the oil pan an noticed the oil pump is not a high volume. Should I use a high volume pump with this block/engine. What P/N pump should I use?

T

·
0 Posts
Oil pump

I was using an SVO HV oil pump(Canton full sump pan) on my engine,557 w/A460 block,850HP. Never had any bearing problems. But I now have a data logger & after I studied my data & it scared me. The pressure fluctuation through the rpm range was scary. Since I saw that, I have now installed a Billet Fabrications 2 piece pan with baffle balls & a Titan oil pump. I hope this is going to greatly improve my oiling situation. The Titan pumps aren't cheap but if it helps it will be worth it. I was concerned that when I up the HP level that the stock style pump would cause problems. I guess I will find out here in a month or so.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Chris; Question

For that kind of money that you just spent on the new oil pan and titan pump, why didn't you just buy a dry sump system? Essentially you were only a mandrel drive and a tank away from one. Do your rules not allow it?

Charlie

T

·
0 Posts
Reason for staying a wet sump

Because I already have a $400 engine diaper that wouldn't work considering it would have to cover the pump & lines. I also had a $350 3 vane Moroso vacuum pump for a wet sump system. So when I added the cost of the dry sump system, new hoses & fittings,new diaper,vacuum pump, plus the time & money to fab brackets & mount the tank,pump,etc, it boiled down to available money. I agree the dry sump is the best system hands down & but I also had to make repairs from a lifter failure. I feel that I have as good a wet sump system as you can get now. If I ever start fresh again,it will be a dry sump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts