460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 fairlane with a 460 in it. Seems that everyone thinks the car should be a lot faster than it really is.........you know........everbody used to have one back in the day and it was stock....and ran almost this fast. Now i know the older you get.....the faster you used to go but, would like some feed back on what i have and where i'm going with it. Car was already built when i bought it so i am telling mostly what i've been told about engine ect . engine= 460 with alum.motersports heads...no port work.....comp. roller rockers and lifters...1050 dommy carb with victor intake. cam=comp.34-703-9 4800-7500 rpm . c-6 trans...no brake....ft-brake car. 4.56 gears......tubbed ...29.5 - 10.5w slicks...full cage....traction not a problem. Car has run a best of 6.79 at 101 in the eighth of a mile. In the heat...runs consistant 6.90 at 98. 1.50 sixty ft times. almost forgot....has bte 5500 convertor. Hear is the main question........i shift at 6400 rpm and can only leave at 2800 on the ft-brake........car was set up to run pro with a t-brake...i guess thats why the big stall c .......i shift at 6400 cause even though it will turn up higher...its a every weekend bracket racer and dont have to be fast...just consistant....and it is. Just concerned that something might be wrong with my car....how fast should it be ? thanks in advance for the response !!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How much does it weigh?? Do you notice a 'bog' from 2800 RPM's when you floor it??
What type of intake...Victor??...Blue Thunder dual plane??
What RPM's do you cross the finish line at??

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
sounds about right for a #3000 car. you would be in the mid to high 10's in the 1/4 mile. not to shabby for a 460 cube motor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much does it weigh?? Do you notice a 'bog' from 2800 RPM's when you floor it??
What type of intake...Victor??...Blue Thunder dual plane??
What RPM's do you cross the finish line at??
Have a victor and my guess on the weight would be 3500 + my 250 . No bog but, it does seem to have a strong second gear. I'm thinking that i leave a lot on the table by not using the t-brake or changing to maybe a 3500 stall instead of the 5500. Cross the line at 6200 rpm. thanks !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts