460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about building some cars in my slow season to keep myself busy.

So, what do you guys think a Fox body car prepped for street/strip use with a BBF, C6, 4-point roll bar, drag radials, etc. be worth? This would include one of my engines, new trans/converter, track tested and ready to run. Probably talking about a ~11.50, no interior but painted/bedlined with two front seats and one five point belt.

I've always liked Fairmont/Zephyrs, but would Mustangs hold more mass market appeal?

·
Registered
457 Posts
i think the it would depend on your customer base, might have to build one of each n see which draws more attention? stang or fairmont/ zepher? as to worth? economy is shot as we all know, but we are Americans and we will have our toy`s :) , i see stang`s and cougar`s t-bird`s round the track here giong from round $4,500 to $12,500 but most are sbc:mad:junk, a few sbf, n even fewer BBF:(, sorry i`m not much help:) would love to see pics of finished product:D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Race stuff?????

I have 15K+ in my 11 second junk, (the whole car) and I would be shocked to get more than 2K for it.

It is like I heard here before. Everybody wants a 9 second motor that they can run for 15 years, and they want to pay fitty bucks. I may have been just a "little" off on the numbers..........:eek:

And this opens up a whole new can of worms....

I will never be a businessman because I REFUSE to pour my heart and soul into a project that some hamfisted dipshit will take out and abuse !!!!!!

Serious question: How do you professionals put up with halfwitted customers (MYSELF INCLUDED) and avoid self destruct mode?????

My **** runs because my machinist is sober enough to compensate for my drunken assembly techniques !!!!!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Thinking about building some cars in my slow season to keep myself busy.

So, what do you guys think a Fox body car prepped for street/strip use with a BBF, C6, 4-point roll bar, drag radials, etc. be worth? This would include one of my engines, new trans/converter, track tested and ready to run. Probably talking about a ~11.50, no interior but painted/bedlined with two front seats and one five point belt.

I've always liked Fairmont/Zephyrs, but would Mustangs hold more mass market appeal?
As much as I like the different stuff, resale value and popularity is gonna have to go with the fox body stang.

Tom

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Carl, I remember seeing a few adds in MMFF from some guys in Texas that were offering race ready rollers. I googled it, but the A.D.D. kicked in, and I got lost on some Amazon butterflies......

I really like your idea, and have contemplated it myself, but being a fat old drunk really takes the ambition out of me.......:eek::D

I can't even finish my own stuff. :rolleyes::mad:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That's a cool concept Carl. Being able to buy a dyno/track proven car and go racing has some appeal!!

There is a guy in town that bought a Cuda years ago. Fully built 10.xx race car. He doesn't change anything, just goes rounds and wins championships.

I agree the Mustang would be more popular (personally I like the Mont!!). As far as price goes, I guess you'd have to figger you costs and see where you end up. Keeping the guys busy over the winter is a cool deal.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Tough market Carl.

Here is my reasoning: I do alot of searching on the net for cars like you mentioned. There are a crap load of them out there for sale. The one thing about custom (non-production ) vehicles is that no 2 people like the same set-up or combo of features.

So, most hot rodders are going to take what they buy and modify it anyway.
I suppose a guy could make money doing what you propose tho.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a cool concept Carl. Being able to buy a dyno/track proven car and go racing has some appeal!!

There is a guy in town that bought a Cuda years ago. Fully built 10.xx race car. He doesn't change anything, just goes rounds and wins championships.

I agree the Mustang would be more popular (personally I like the Mont!!). As far as price goes, I guess you'd have to figger you costs and see where you end up. Keeping the guys busy over the winter is a cool deal.

Bill
I have a pretty good idea of what my cost would be, but I'm having trouble finding comparable vehicles for a projected selling price. That's why I'm asking you guys.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tough market Carl.

Here is my reasoning: I do alot of searching on the net for cars like you mentioned. There are a crap load of them out there for sale. The one thing about custom (non-production ) vehicles is that no 2 people like the same set-up or combo of features.

So, most hot rodders are going to take what they buy and modify it anyway.
I suppose a guy could make money doing what you propose tho.

Good luck.
I'm definitely familiar with people's need for customization. I've sold very few crate engines that didn't include some changes.

Initially, I was thinking about doing some BBF Cobra replicas but I had a friend suggest Fox body drag cars. Lower investment, and nobody else is doing it. Kind of like a Saleen Mustang, but built for street/strip instead of road/touring.

I'm certainly open to alternate body styles, but figured the Fox stuff was fairly standardized.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We all know prices vary by geography,But last yr. around this time I found quite a few Rollers from $2,000. to $3,500. in the Md. Pa. Va. area.
My partner traded a RX-7 w/sbc for an 89 fox,mini-tub,10 pt. cage roller the guy was selling for $1,800.HTH

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
build it with an 8 or 10 point cage and it will sell better in my opinion.
Just me but I would be more interested in a car from you than I would from an unknown
I guess that's a good question. How would you guys want it spec'd? My theory was to make it a reliable, steetable car that got down to the limits of needing real certified safety equipment. Something you could drive on the highway for an hour or so, run it at the track and drive home.

460? Stroker? Iron heads? Alum heads? 4-point bar? 8 point cage? 5 lug conversion? stock 8.8? Upgraded axles?

Of course there's going to be a "bling" factor with an 8 point, alum heads, 9" rear, stroker, etc....those things all drive up the price and aren't really needed to get one of these cars into the mid-11's, right?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I guess that's a good question. How would you guys want it spec'd? My theory was to make it a reliable, steetable car that got down to the limits of needing real certified safety equipment. Something you could drive on the highway for an hour or so, run it at the track and drive home.

460? Stroker? Iron heads? Alum heads? 4-point bar? 8 point cage? 5 lug conversion? stock 8.8? Upgraded axles?

Of course there's going to be a "bling" factor with an 8 point, alum heads, 9" rear, stroker, etc....those things all drive up the price and aren't really needed to get one of these cars into the mid-11's, right?
When you said no interior I envision more of a racecar. Mid 11's would be possible with interior and be more streetable. I like the streetable part you mentioned but if you pull the interior, carpet, etc, to me it would be unbearable noisy. You're right though 11.5's and you don't need even the four point roll bar. I still say it'll run mid 11's with an interior. I think you'd have to keep it in the 10 grand range, maybe a bit more. Tough to do I would think.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you said no interior I envision more of a racecar. Mid 11's would be possible with interior and be more streetable. I like the streetable part you mentioned but if you pull the interior, carpet, etc, to me it would be unbearable noisy. You're right though 11.5's and you don't need even the four point roll bar. I still say it'll run mid 11's with an interior. I think you'd have to keep it in the 10 grand range, maybe a bit more. Tough to do I would think.
Part of the idea in gutting the interior is to keep the price down. I guess carpeting, a couple of front seats, and some sheet metal for the doors/side panels/rear seat wouldn't be too expensive and it'd be a cleaner look.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
There is a bunch of folks running very fast with an 8.8. Lots of suspension parts available to help with hooking it. The five lug conversion gives you more wheel choices and better axles to boot.

I think you could do it as a "Base Line" package where there are still things a guy could do if/when they want to go faster. Your just providing the foundation or starting point.

I agree an interior might expand your market quite a bit. The '78 Fairmont I had didn't have any carpet or deadener in it and it wasn't too bad though.

Sub-frame connectors and prolly help a bunch and the 4 point bar gives it the race car look without climbing over door bars. This could be upgraded in the future or as an option......

I guess your option list could get quite extensive.:eek::D:D

Bill

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Part of the idea in gutting the interior is to keep the price down. I guess carpeting, a couple of front seats, and some sheet metal for the doors/side panels/rear seat wouldn't be too expensive and it'd be a cleaner look.
Good idea. The carpet can be had very cheap from the 5.0 resto places.

Bill

·
Registered
526 Posts
Why not leave the stock interior in it if it costs money to change it?
I guess I don't understand why the car would not have carpet in it when you bought it. Why would you have to buy carpet?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Why not leave the stock interior in it if it costs money to change it?
I guess I don't understand why the car would not have carpet in it when you bought it. Why would you have to buy carpet?
Alot of 4cyl Stangs I've seen are pretty nasty inside!!

Bill

1 - 20 of 48 Posts