460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a short question for you all, before I tear down and start the rebuild. I have a 68 429 thunderjet that needs to have the crank redone, so im going to go all through it and hopp it up alot. Before I really get started I wanted to know if anyone knew what the CC of the cyl. heads would be. They are original 68 C8VE-E heads. If you also know what is the valve size and whats the biggest size I can go up too. I have already started to get some things for the engine. 4 bolt caps, All the ARP bolts made for it, Intake, Carb and Cam. I dont have the actuall specs of the cam infront of me but I will find it and post later. Maybe a suggestion on other combos I didn't think of. So you do Know the engine has never been apart, other then a timing set being put in, and it is a factory 4bbl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been told that they are 72cc and that they are 76cc. I would really like to have a more solid Idea before I get anything else for the engine. that way I dont end up with too much compression or valve clearance problems. I dont really want to tear it down just to cc the heads and find out. but If i have too then i have too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the larger valves are going to reduce your chamber cc's a little bit. So you probably won't know until it's done and they have been measured. But, most like it will be in that range of 72-77 cc's.

If you want to reduce the chamber size more than that you can always mill the heads.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
86stang429cj said:
I have been told that they are 72cc and that they are 76cc. I would really like to have a more solid Idea before I get anything else for the engine. that way I dont end up with too much compression or valve clearance problems. .
4cc's isn't gonna change the compression that much nor will it effect valve clearance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts