460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever been really proud of your car Or truck.. what ever. Whats the story of the most proud you have ever been, been able to "rub it in" a little.. etc.. another thread on another board I am on got me thinking about this. Heres mine.

A few years ago I had a 96 F-150. 302 auto, 2wd.

Only suspension mods were sway bars from a mid 90's 1 ton 4x4 (BIG SWAY BARS) and wheels and tires.

I used the truck to haul the lawn equipment, trailer ..you name it. I had a 20 ft tandem trailer with 2 foot sides behind the truck to get mulch. I got to the mulch place (John Deere place in my home town) told them I wanted mulch but didnt know how much.

I told the guy the truck and trailer I had he said I could get 4 scoops and be full. I said well lets see if we can get a little more. He started loading. He put 4 scoops on the trailer and told me to go in and pay. I told him I wasnt finished and to start loading the truck. He put 1 scoop in and asked if I was done.. I asked for one more.. so 4 scoops on the trailer, 2 on the truck.. I said whoa. The guy parked his little bob cat and told me he has been loading mulch for a few years there. He said he had a new Z-71 (at the time) and he would never load it like that.

I just told him to get a real truck and then he could. Only thing that ever went bad on that truck was the trans. I had to rebuild it at 180xxx miles because the reverse sprag messed up...I used that truck like a 1 ton 4x4 many times and it never talked back once. It was funny. The transmission blew up when I was moving about 20 mph leaving a buddies house. Hardly made it out of the driveway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well in the lines of your story by proudest moment happend here in town about 12 yrs ago 95 F150 4x4 short box 300I6 5spd. we had some ice on the roads and there is one street that has a slight uphill on a corner I had come to town and there was a loaded semi tractor trailer (hauling produce to the grocery store warehouse here in town, told me he was sitting at 79500lbs) he couldn't get up the hill and no place to turn around. After talking and the local wrecker driver wouldn't be able to get to him for at least an hour (was involved with cleaning up a huge wreck outside of town) the cops asked if I thought I could maybe pull him up the hill (actually was thinking I would go home and get my semi) I said I would try and grabbed a chain and hooked it to the pickup, cop says "no way" but hooked on and sure as anything I pulled him up that hill, granted he was helping and probably just needed that little extra to get it moving but still makes you feel ten foot tall pulling a fully loaded semi with a lil ole half ton

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Monster baby, your story reminds me of one of my proudest Ford moments and I didn't even own the truck.

I was at church one evening outside talking to a guy that was telling me just how great his Z-71 is, how it would out pull my 2000 F150!
As we stand there I had my back turned to the road and one of the kids hollars out "oh my gosh" with his jaw dropped open.
I turned around and look and there is a 97-03, supercab, F150 pulling a fully loaded, Semi, log truck!!
They had just stopped at the stop sign and driving down the road like it wasn't that big of a deal with one arm hanging out of the truck!

I turned around and told them,, that's what I am talking about right there!! Booyaa!!

Ford commercial if I ever saw one!! Ya the truck was squating in the back pretty good but it was getting the job done!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had a 79 Bronco 351m 4spd. Coming into town I see a buggy of mine sitting in a 4 axle dump truck at an intersection not moving. Stopped to see what was up said the truck died and wont start batteries dead. So I pulled him backwards to get it to start.

Many times of pulling chebbies out of the mud.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I guess my greatest automotive moments was in ''06'' when this ole Maverick was running unbelievably consistant the whole year. It got down too the final 3 cars at FFW in Norwalk ,and then 6 weeks later Won the meet at the NMRA Ford Nationals in Columbus. The ole car is always consistant. Wish I could say the same about the Driver :shock:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Had my '69 Torino at the local A&W burger stand on a Friday eve, along with a couple dozen other various hot rods. Local cops are in the lot - car guys - and checking things out.

They mention that a certain Hemi powered Mopar was the toughest piece on hand, and that it ran tens. I said that my ol' Ford ran tens (actually 10.20s on motor through the tailpipes with the radio goin').

The cops - yes the cops - said to pull that sucker out in front of the burger joint and give it hell to "prove it". You don't miss out on an invitation like that! Armed the N2O, loaded against the converter and hit it with EVERYTHING right on 12 Mile Road in Berkely MI with the police supervising! I don't know if it carried the tires very far - but they were impressed! :D :D :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Probably mine would be something to do with my last truck engine, a little 302 with a rumpity rump cam and over 200,000 miles. Smoked a bit at idle, but whatever. It took plenty of fox bodies off red lights in my '83 stepside 4x4. I used to wind the hell out of that thing till it wouldn't rev no more. It was a screamer for a truck motor. It hydrolocked a handful of times (first time out in woods I cut the ignition and swam for it when I was running out of breathing room). Quickie oil change in the woods and wheeled some more, 435 208 and axles full of water till next morning. Pulled about 6000lbs with that truck once, that was interesting getting up to speed on the highway. Pedal down, smoke out the side pipes, not accelerating quickly despite a downhill onramp. I must say the 16 gallon tank didn't get me very far with that load. Eventually I learned that 1/2 ton frames don't like being jumped 5 feet in the air. Blew a shock mount off the rear and cracked the frame halfway through on each side. Truck burned a week later.

Put that 302 in a F250 I got for cheap and ran it with a ZF5. Beat the piss out of it in that truck. Hydrolocked a few times, overheated with no coolant 'till pistons seized in bore (was rattling and pinging in neutral a few minutes before it seized, I just kept the loud pedal hammered down), ran for weeks with oil not even touching dipstick. Engine ran great when I sold it. I told the guy to at least do a cheapie rebuild but nope, last I heard he threw it straight in a boat. Yep, that 302 just wouldn't die. I woulda put it in the truck I got now but this one already had a good running 351 in it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One story comes to mind. Wife and I were at the lake with my Howard wood deck flat, 460, tunnelram, iron heads and some sort of rump-rump cam. Two kids in a Sanger flat trying to promote a race between me and another fellow driving a tunnel rammed Chevy powered runner bottom. This guy's boat sounds nasty and I'm thinkin' I don't have a chance against this guy, his boat is alot lighter, air entrapment hull and more motor . Wife gets out my boat as she is not into go-fast and racing. The runner bottom and I go off and to my surprise I pulled him a couple of boat lengths.....Mr. Runnerbottom comes back around wanting a rematch...OK, we go off again and I beat him as before, a couple of lengths...WOW, I beat this guy two outta two. By now I'm pretty proud of myself and my boat and the whole day got to be just a little bit brighter.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Barry_R said:
Had my '69 Torino at the local A&W burger stand on a Friday eve, along with a couple dozen other various hot rods. Local cops are in the lot - car guys - and checking things out.

They mention that a certain Hemi powered Mopar was the toughest piece on hand, and that it ran tens. I said that my ol' Ford ran tens (actually 10.20s on motor through the tailpipes with the radio goin').

The cops - yes the cops - said to pull that sucker out in front of the burger joint and give it hell to "prove it". You don't miss out on an invitation like that! Armed the N2O, loaded against the converter and hit it with EVERYTHING right on 12 Mile Road in Berkely MI with the police supervising! I don't know if it carried the tires very far - but they were impressed! :D :D :D
Barry,

Were they speaking of Jimmy Addison's Silver Bullet '67 Plymouth?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
First time out with the 572 after running a 357 cleveland for 20 years.

8.59 @ 159 2450 lbs, what a rush...

that aint no small block baby

:D :D :D

dkp

·
Registered
792 Posts
c.evans said:
Barry,

Were they speaking of Jimmy Addison's Silver Bullet '67 Plymouth?
No - this was 1996-ish and it was just a nice running red single headlight '65 Coronet. Nowhere near Bullet caliber.

I was just a kid when the legendary "Bullet" was working the streets around here. For those that don't know - the Silver Bullet was the quintessential street racer - a factory prepped and sponsored 10 second '67 GTX back in the late 60s & early 70s when a 12 second car was still considered fast. Arguably the most famous street racing car of all time - an icon. Sadly it's now a "pair" of controversial trailer queens - the original car with newer guts in an external restoration with another "clone" having the original driveline.

·
Registered
279 Posts
in the middle of gulfport ms.just after i down shifted and made the tracks a cop pulled me over and all he wanted to do was see what was under the hood. he loved the sound and acceleration. it was a 289 hypo in a 66 coupe. that was in 75 and all my buddys were with me. Now i just got warhorse (79 mustang) in the 9's and looking for plenty more mabe low 9. he hee he.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
20 years ago I built my first 460. It went 13.99 in my '66 Galaxie. After I broke the Galaxie frame, I installed the same 460 into a '79 Mustang and went 12.92 @ 111. Then we had a couple of kids, and the motor hung on an engine stand for 10 years. You know the story where the guy has the car sitting in the back yard, and he's "GONNA FIX IT UP" some day?

Then I found you guys. :roll:

The kids were getting older, and the bills were taken care of, so I got motivated and put the 460 into my '77 F100. It was totally y'all's fault.

Is " y'all's " a word???

And then, I ordered a slice of a D3 head from ScottyJ. I built another 460 and put it into an '81 Mustang that was someone's abandoned project.

And then you guys started talking about a "BASH".

I had always wanted to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour
or the Fastest Street Car Shootout
or the Car Craft Nationals
or the Galaxie Nationals
or ................................................

So I said Screw it!!! We're doing this. We bought a trailer, and dropped the F100 off to get it fitted with a hitch and electric brakes. I had never towed ****, so when we picked up our new "rig", I was quite nervous. We drove it 20 miles home, loaded up the car, and headed to Kentucky. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After 1500+ miles round trip, I got some seat time in the "race" car and in the tow rig. When we pulled back into the yard, I was just glad that my first 460 hung in there and carried us up 'n over the mountains from here to there, and didn't miss a beat. The car had some issues, but the truck just kept on keepin' on.

We'll be at the next bash too........I hope.......

The pic below is me sitting next to Blake on my second run in this car. The first run was beside PatFromJersey.... I gave both of them lots of room so that I wouldn't do something stupid. Now when I come back.....................................

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Hey Phil, Those Plymouths were so fast because they had SHELBY wheels :lol: :lol: :lol: Rick

·
Registered
320 Posts
one of my customers at a shop I worked at couple years back was a local cop, he was heading the anti street racing movement in my town. He had a fast 88 I built for him but he couldn't use that for work (department requires use of "approved vehicles only"). Luckly on that list was the marader (state troopers used them). And what do you know vortech makes a kit that will work. :twisted:
There's nothing better than having all the imoprt guys in town cuss you out b/c they got out run by the cops. :lol:
Last I heard they were using it for beat the heat grudge matchs.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have a few moments that I remember well.

1) First time I pulled the wheels at the track driving my 78 Futura SBF powered street car. I was 18 and had a street car that ran mid 12's on a little spray ( boy, is that a crazy thought! ). I don't know who was more excited to see me bring that car home, me or my dad.

2) Breaking into the 11's with a little more spray with that same car.

3) Melting the #5 piston in the above mentioned engine. I still have that piston/rod. I plan to have it mounted on a plaque with a sign underneath it that reads "MOTIVATION"

4) Winning 3rd place in the local Ford/Chevy race over 10 years ago driving my 94 F150 because of the above mentioned melted piston. That's the only trophy I've ever won. Only other time I came close was the Wed night King of the Hill race. I lost in the final...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts