460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, getting ready to remove my digital 6 sysyem and tfi coil and install a 7AL-3 box and HVC ProPower coil. I thinking of installing the new box inside the car and the coil on the frt of the left head. How is the best way to mount the box inside and keep it neat? thanks, Rick

·
Registered
558 Posts
On Dad's Thunderbird I made a nice raised plate out of 1/8" stainless that mounts the 7AL-2, the two step, and an rpm activated switch. There's also a small computer fan mounted under the MSD that blows across the unit whenever the ignition system is activated. It's all mounted in the passenger side footwell. Coil is mounted on the driver's side fender apron. MSD recommended keeping the coil wire at less than 24" for best performance.

T

·
0 Posts
Rick, I have both the coil & 7AL3 mounted on the passenger side firewall inside the car.My coil wire is no longer than a stock GT Mustang with the coil on the fenderwell. But granted my mid plate is part of the firewall so the engine is further back than stock.Just requires a short coil wire for inside the car. No problems so far. :D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. thanks guys. I saw a magazine pic today of one like shadow is describing so think that's the route I'm gonna take. I received it all today and have to pretty much re-wire the frt of the car so I'll be busy this weekend but the Richmond street warriors race is Sat. night so I should have it done by then so I can get a few test passes in before FFW next weekend.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I agree with Chris, mounting the box & coil inside the car shouldn't be a problem.

If you do decide to mount the coil to the cyl. head, you need to mount it so it reduces the chance of heat soak. Make a mount that includes the MSD rubber flex-mounts to reduce vibration. Plus they provide a needed air gap to get the coil farther away from the heat of the cyl. head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts