460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 460 i am putting in a 74 torino. originality is not an issue, but budget is. with the motor, i got two new starters, one is the earlier style with the solenoid on it, and the other is a later 80's style without the solenoid on it. both are new, and there is a solenoid on the fenderwell already. suggestions?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
The small high torque starters like the 1990s F250-F-350s had is the best of the o.e.m. starters i.m.o.
That's what I use, they work great and are not too big which is a bonus for header clearance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 460 i am putting in a 74 torino. originality is not an issue, but budget is. with the motor, i got two new starters, one is the earlier style with the solenoid on it, and the other is a later 80's style without the solenoid on it. both are new, and there is a solenoid on the fenderwell already. suggestions?
I'd use the starter without a solenoid on it for your application. Why not leave the solenoid on the fender well? It would be much easier to wire up and maintain up top rather than down under. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with Lem. I switched my '78 F350 enclosed car hauler ( Oleynik box) over to the mini starter and it is awesome! No possibility of heat soak.
Randy

Reactions: pedal2themetal45

·
Registered
928 Posts
No. Not if you have one up top.
Yes. actually you do need both solenoids using the late starter. Even the older gm style Ford starters used both solenoids.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes. actually you do need both solenoids using the late starter. Even the older gm style Ford starters used both solenoids.
Correct. But you don't have to use either type of starter you have mentioned. You can simply use an older type starter WITHOUT an attached solenoid and use a fenderwell type solenoid instead. Buzzillions of fords came that way from the factory and worked perfectly. If the fenderwell solenoid went bad you don't have to crawl under the vehicle like a dam chebby guy to change it, just raise the hood and change it instead.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I use the late model hi-torque starter in my 73 Montego GT (with the fenderwel mounted solenoid). Works great, cheap and serviceable no matter where you find yourself. I do also run a reflective heat wrap on it because of the proximity to the headers.

;)

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I second that. I am using the same starter in my 12.99 LTD project. I have the coated FPA headers by stan and at 11 to 1 c/r and 9.5 to 1 DCR the starter lights off the engine with out even straining...

Great inexpensive and light weight. Win win imo...

S

·
Registered
575 Posts
The '92-'97 460 starter is smaller in size, even with the starter mounted solenoid(lots of room for headers). I tried an aftermarket version from DB Electrical and it worked great....for a while. I just sent it back for replacement(very good customer service, no hassles) and in the mean time I found and installed a used starter out of a '97 F350. Here is a pic showing the size difference between a fender mounted solenoid starter and the DB Electrical PGMR late model starter(same size as late model factory 460 starter).

Ramair351, I have my PGMR starter installed in my '79 Ranchero w/466 -C6(same chassis, rear axle forward) as your '74 Torino. Even with my Hooker 6126 headers, there is plenty of room around the starter.

I had reservations of installing another starter mounted solenoid, I absolutely hated the GM style 460 starter of the early to mid 70's. Back in the 80's I was under my father's truck too many times with a hammer trying to get that MF'er to engage when it was hot. This newer PGMR design starter is a whole different animal. Good luck, Todd

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I run a DB electrical mini starter on my 521 with no probs with a fender mounted solenoid. My headers are built around the starter so with a aluminum heat sheild the starter works great and my engine bay gets hot!

First DB starter would pull too many amps when hot so they replaced it, great service.

·
Registered
389 Posts
X2 on the D/B starter, smaller and powerful and only 49.95 and free shipping. I have not had a problem with it for two years and if I did they will replace it.
J.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure if this would be a factor or not, but the Duraspark module receives a voltage signal to retard the spark on start up from fender mounted solenoid. Like others stated you can use the fender mounted solenoid to supply voltage to the starter mounted solenoid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts