460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I will need to update my 9 inch in my f-100. I'm planning on using 35 spline axles, aftermarket center section, etc. Which center sections are the best or are they all about the same? Who's axles do I get? I was looking at strange and moser. I drive this truck on the street some so will a detroit locker take 700 hp? I don't really want to run a full spool on the street. I don't drive it much, fridays to work to pick up my check and to the race track about 30 miles one way.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm not sure about the power levels a locker will take, but a lot depends on vehicle weight, tire size and gear ratio. I did have a 4.56 locker in the 514 Ranger, though. I removed that locker from the housing with the help of the shop vacuum cleaner. My feeling is that if you have 700 hp, big tires and lots of weight, I'd stay away from the locker. :wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will have lots of weight about 4000 lbs, thats after a 300 lb diet. 27 tall tires. Starting at 3.50 gears and going up from there.

Thanks again,

Kyle

T

·
0 Posts
Her is where I rate 9" manufacturers
1. Mark Williams - more expensive but I have never had any problems with their parts & services in 20 yrs of doing business with them.
2. Strange- if I couldn't have MW's then I would go Strange
3. Moser- Always been a little leery when a company sells way under other companies. But I know quite a few people using their stuff & like it.

Randy, I don't know who you talked to but I have always gotten excellent service from MW. Matter of fact , the third member in my car now is based off of recommendations that I got from Mark Williams himself.(all the techs were busy ) & I can say for a fact that I am not a " big name pro racer". I'm just an old Carolina country boy with champane tastes when it comes to race cars but who has to operate on a beer budget!! :lol: Anyway , I would recommend Strange but if you want the absolute lowest prices then Moser would be your best bet. Good luck...

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I talked to Mark himself and before that I called a week earlier and I had a 1350 billit yoke for my glide and Third member and called to check about a drive shaft for my car and he told me that if I was going to be running someone elses product besides his I didn't need his drive shaft either. and that he will not pay contengency unless you have all his products.

The Reason I used Mosier axles and 9" parts is because I have talked to Greg Mosier before he died and when I went to the races.
He ran his Prostocker and ran his own product in his car. Greg said if he wanted someone to put their life on the line with his product then he would too just to show the public he was in for great quality products and not just to sell some parts.

I liked and respected that

Randy

T

·
0 Posts
Randy, what you said was correct. MW doesn't pay contingency on driveshafts unless you have the MW driveshaft & transmission yokes also. It kind of sucks that they talked to you the way they did. They do make excellent products. I understand why you use Moser because it is the same reason I stay with MW's products. We like the way we were treated & they both provided us with what we wanted. I think if Klye goes with any of the three talked about, he will be fine. :D

Kyle, I do know that MW offers a 35 spline Detroit locker.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have Moser 33 spline axles in my drag truck and have had no problems. I bought a complete 9" for my Boss's 1987 Monte Carlo SS and have had no problems with it either. The only thing I don't like about my Boss's 9" axle is the Dettroit Locker he had to have. It absolutely sucks on the street. It locks and unlocks everytime you get on the gas, off the gas, backup, or pull it in gear. It makes a loud clang when you put it in gear or back up and it causes the back of the car to feel very unstable while driving. Under racing conditions, it works great. Under normal driving conditions, everybody that has drove the car hates it. We plan to remove it and replace it with something else.

David

D

·
0 Posts
I have Strange Stuff in Both My Car (the ones that are running !!) Nice Stuff, No Problems, Prices are reasonable for the quality.

Need to watch alot of the Mark Williams parts have unique machining and are only compatable with his stuff. If you buy MW stuff alot of other manufactures parts won't swap.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
dfree383 said:
I have Strange Stuff in Both My Car (the ones that are running !!) Nice Stuff, No Problems, Prices are reasonable for the quality.

Need to watch alot of the Mark Williams parts have unique machining and are only compatable with his stuff. If you buy MW stuff alot of other manufactures parts won't swap.
This is true! I've read about this before some where.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
MW

Some of MW's parts combinations are not interchangable and work as an
assembly because they are a superior design, not because they are
specifically trying to sell you more parts. I personally won't touch Strange,
their designs are not as strong as MW. I have used Moser, and can
recommend their stuff over Strange, but still, MW has the best quality
that I'm aware of. You get what you pay for with MW.

T

·
0 Posts
What it is that MW 35 spline isn't the same as say a 35 spline Strange axle. Reason being is the pitch & shape of the splines are unique to MW. Also the splines are located farther out in a MW spool.They do make spools,axles & stuff for other types of axle splines. The 35 spline Detroit Locker is a MW spline. Go to their website, it explains it all. Now as far as a locker clunking,clanging, & such on the street, I have to say I didn't have that problem with mine back in the 80's. I ran a 28 spline locker in my 67 Mustang on the street. Mabe I couldn't hear it over the engine or something. The only time I would feel it kick out would be in a sharp turn. But nothing extreme. Mabe I just got lucky.... :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Never had a problem with Mark Williams, they have always been professional & easy to work with.

I swaped out a guy's MW 35 spline axles for a new set of MW 40 spline gun drilled 300M alloy axles. They told me about how much the expected weight reduction was going to be with the new axles, and they were dead on.

Mark williams does use it's own spline "pressure angles" on their 35 & 40 spline "drag race only" axles because their spline design is stronger & less likely to roll a spline over.

Now having said that, using a true "drag race only" axle (like MW & Strange has) on the street could be asking for trouble. The flange on a "drag only" axle is heat treated so it is strong for straight-line loads, but isn't really meant to handle the side-loading that a street driven car will see.

For a car that will see street use, a "street/strip" axle is a better idea. Both MW & Strange make a pro street(ish) type axle that's OK for street use (MW's pro street axles have a conventional spline on them). Moser's axles are made/heat treated so that they can be used for either (street/strip or drag only) application.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I went with Moser 35 spline axles/spool, will be buying Moser aluminum drop-out and Mark Williams yokes/cro-mo driveline, should be plenty good for a 3500 lb car with 800hp.

·
Registered
476 Posts
MOSER has TERRIBLE customer relations! Let me explain.

My main Hobby is Rock Crawling. Back about 5 years ago their was a big push from Moser on developing front axle shafts for D44 to compete with Warns LiIFETIME gauranteed 4160 shafts. At the time, we were breaking them and needed an alternative, not replacements but ones that would not break!

Moser advertised their "monster shafts" heavily at that time to the offraod crowd. A well known offroad parts house started carrying them and offered the first set. 4 of my buddies and I ordered them at almost 600 bucks a set. When I got them I pushed the caps for the joints in with the palms of my hands!! I called Moser and they said no problem, run them, they will be good...

First trip out the ears twisted. All 5 of us twisted the ears. Then reports of more and more people. They blamed us. We had them tested and they WERE NOT HARDENED!!! BIG FALL out on the 4x4 crowd. We even looked at doing a small class action suit because they were advertised as hardened. They would only offer $100 off a new set. They later admitted that the first batch was bad, but even with reciepts would only offer $100 off a new set.

I have even been to their place in Portland Indianna IN PERSON! I even remembered the guys name I had talked to and spoke with him in person. I told him that after admitting they had problems with the first batch, that they willingly stole money from me by selling a known bad part. I shook his hand and told him to never forget that and then left. He was VERY redfaced. So many places never think that they might meet their customers face to face, that they do not matter. I since have thrown way all my stuff, reciepts, contacts etc because I just wanted to put it behind me.

I will NEVER use any of their products. STRANGE has served me well ever since in all my 9" stuff.

I run 42" tires on a Strange nodular 3.25 case, full spool and 35 spline street/strip axles from Strange. I have tried to break these in low range 2WD full throttle launches and 5 years of hard abuse. Pulled the shafts for their yearly inpsection and they look new...

Ken

·
Registered
476 Posts
Scott V said:
I went with Moser 35 spline axles/spool, will be buying Moser aluminum drop-out and Mark Williams yokes/cro-mo driveline, should be plenty good for a 3500 lb car with 800hp.
Scott, we have an aluminum case Strange center section that we took out of our rock buggy after the first run. We were just so afraid of breaking it with the torque mulitplication we run, that we did not want to risk breaking during competition. If you are interested ,PM me and I can get you in touch with the owner.
Ken

www.hardlineoffroad.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts