460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, nice site. I have an 85 Mustang that will be getting a 429 with a glide. I was wondering who has the best k member to fit that 429 nicley. This will be a strip only car.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an AJE and it works great. PAracing makes a nice one as well. I think UPR revised theirs so that it would work better. The other ones out there require major trimming of the front mounting pads that fit under the K-member. My AJE required very minor trimming of the back pad on the passenger side.

Greg

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's a pretty broad question. I have a mild steel D&D unit on mine. Certainly not the top choice but it works. I would prefer a Chromoly AJE or PA with a drop rack option if the choice could be made again.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have an AJE in mine and it has exceptional workmanship. I also have their crossmember for a glide. They make great products and I would reccomend them to anyone. Also their customer service was top notch and they took the time to answer any questions I had no matter how stupid they were. Bob at D and D is also great in this regard.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Gregh429 said:
... ....My AJE required very minor trimming of the back pad on the passenger side.
Greg
You must be using the Hooker headers. They all require minor trimming at the pass side rear mount location when using the hookers... But it's worth the effort for the better ground clearance compared to other headers.

AJE or PA Racing with 1.5" drop-rack option. AJE is a better desig (IMHO), but PA Racing is plenty good. Granatelli is similar, but no drop-rack option (that I'm aware of)

·
Registered
115 Posts
AJE

AJE is a work of art, make sure you get the 1 1/2" drop. No mods required with my Kaufman headers. No motor mount either. Also spent the money on their A-arms and coil over kit as well. The A-arms are exceptional!! You will soon forget the "extra" cost when it is bolted in, great customer support. :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appriciate all the info. I liked the AJE stuff on thier site. My father in law was talking about not using a cross member. He says he broke many glide casings with one. Any input on not using a cross member?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
HARCracing said:
I really appriciate all the info. I liked the AJE stuff on thier site. My father in law was talking about not using a cross member. He says he broke many glide casings with one. Any input on not using a cross member?
Mount the engine solid, and use a stock-type rubber tranny mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
BBBob_M said:
Gregh429 said:
... ....My AJE required very minor trimming of the back pad on the passenger side.
Greg
You must be using the Hooker headers. They all require minor trimming at the pass side rear mount location when using the hookers... But it's worth the effort for the better ground clearance compared to other headers.

AJE or PA Racing with 1.5" drop-rack option. AJE is a better desig (IMHO), but PA Racing is plenty good. Granatelli is similar, but no drop-rack option (that I'm aware of)
There are headers with worse ground clearance? LOL

These are the D and D 2" long tubes.

I didn't get the drop-rack option but I really don't see how I can put the motor any lower without custom headers.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts