460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...than bb chebby from the old forum??? I couldn't find it with the search and now I would like to get even with my chevy oriented friends. There were like a long list from the good things ford has against chebby like "you don't have to search for a talldeck", small cc combustion chambers, you don't need dome pistons, better rod ratio etc. I am not sure but I might remember that Paul Kane wrote there too - not sure!

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Finmach said:
Who remembers topic why BB Ford is better than bb chebby from the old forum??? I couldn't find it with the search and now I would like to get even with my chevy oriented friends. There were like a long list from the good things ford has against chebby like "you don't have to search for a talldeck", small cc combustion chambers, you don't need dome pistons, better rod ratio etc. I am not sure but I might remember that Paul Kane wrote there too - not sure!
Finmach,

It was called "Advantages of Ford Over Chevy," and yes I put that together after me & RJP brainstormed it at another forum (before Chilly460's original 385 Forum). As I recall, on the other forum a guy was writing a book about the BBC and fishing for info when me and RJP came in and just squashed him with the Ford facts. Never seen anyone so infuriated before!

"Advantages of Ford Over Chevy," has now been placed onto the High Flow Dynamics website, under its own dedicated link/page in the site, and has been updated with pictures of Ford and chebby engines side-by-side so that the statements made about Ford's superiority are also backed up with the pictures to prove it! And now we have hard numbers to back up the statements as well (BTW, thanks to Charlie Evans for helping with dimensional/numerical data).

I am working hard this weekend to get the website launched by Monday. Then you'll really have a place to point your chebby friends...and with all the pictures and data, they won't be able to dispute thing. :mrgreen:

Thanks very much for remembering and please stand by,

Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul,

great to hear that! I just can't wait to see the web pages you mentioned.
I enjoyed reading the topic at the old forum - good stuff.

Thanks,

Jari

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am going to get alot of people burning here. I like SBC over SBF. BBF takes the cake no doubt, including the FE series. People debate the 351C as BB or SB and I like it. 260's and 289's are great for small engines. I even love 2.3L and 4.9L....

But I have seen to many poor running 302's, and my 350 gets 19.6mpg in a 4700 pound vehicle. My friends 5.0 has the same hp getting 13mpg in a 3400 pound vehicle.

Why am I saying this??????????

Time to put on my flame proof clothing I suppose.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
jpierce55 said:
I am going to get alot of people burning here. I like SBC over SBF. BBF takes the cake no doubt, including the FE series. People debate the 351C as BB or SB and I like it. 260's and 289's are great for small engines. I even love 2.3L and 4.9L....

But I have seen to many poor running 302's, and my 350 gets 19.6mpg in a 4700 pound vehicle. My friends 5.0 has the same hp getting 13mpg in a 3400 pound vehicle.

Why am I saying this??????????

Time to put on my flame proof clothing I suppose.
I'm not going to flame you, but it sounds like your friend needs to do some tuning. I have a 5.0 Mustang sitting in my shop that will do the 1/8 in the 7.60's without the NOS and it gets 23 mpg and it weighs about 3400 with me in it..

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Paul, I would really enjoy running around all over the place inside your website!! be sure to link us from here to there when you get it launched, okay?? :p :p

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Something! You are right about that, he has many bolt on parts. Things that should add power. I suspect part of the problem is his March ram-air he refuses to take off. I have only heard bad things about them.

On the other side my father's van gets 10?

My experience around 302's has always been bad, I never tried one because of things I seen. My uncle built a 302 and a 289 identicle except the 302 was bored and had a bigger cam. The 289 was in a heavier car and ran faster. The 302 had issues with boiling over. My father has had some bad one. I have seen other things I don't like them.

I am a big fan of the 351C but prone to call it a BB because everybody else here seems to. It was a Chevy person who talked me into the BBF and C4 all of those years ago telling me it was Fords best. As you all know back in 97 parts where limited but things are really getting going for this engine and I think he was right.

As for my 350 I rebuilt it, ported the exhaust side, used a TBI spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, and a K&N off-road filter kit. I still want to add roller rockers and exhaust wrap on the manifolds, I would like to see 20mpg in it.
Factory was 17.6 and it proves tuning helps.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well in defence of Ford, i think the SBC is fine in cars but makes a sad at best truck motor, it has no good lowend tourqe. I don't care if it gets 20mpg or not, id rather get 10mpg with a BBF and have some balls! :D Chevy trucks are for old ladies who can't climb into a real truck IMO.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've been put on the spot too many times...

by people who thinks the sun rises and sets on Chevys. I've been told by Chevy guys that the Ford is a gernade engine because they don't oil, ect. Even though their claims are baseless and no facts to back up their arguement they still think the Ford has reliability issues. Too many Chevy people confuse the FE with the 385 and that may be the basis for the so-called oiling problem. From my experence I found the only oiling problem was the front sump pan. Its pretty scary to watch the oil pressure go to zero when you launch the car and that problem needs to be addressed but since I'm a V-drive boat guy the front sump is a blessing when the engine is installed backwards and the sump/pick up is now at the rear. The 427 Ford FE was the most reliable and powerful stock engine used in boats in the 60s so that backs my arguement as to the reliability of these engines. When the Chevy guy still isn't convinced I ask how good is the oiling system of a small block Chevy. The usual response is its the best oiling system of any engine made. I counter with "if its so good and the Ford is so bad, whats the difference?" That usually gets the blank stare or "is good because its a Chevy" When I tell them the system is almost identical except for the location of the oil pump/sump they still aren't convinced. I then point out that the Center oiler FE blocks oils just like a small block Chevy and a side oiler 427s oils just like a big block Chevy. Some would ask why I would even waste my time trying to convince a Chevy guy, well I ask myself that too...why bother, and since I'm getting older and have little patence for idiots I seldom argue anymore, its a waste of time. What isn't a waste of time is kicking their asses on the track, strip or lake.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Guys,

I wasn't planning on making a big public announcement about the High Flow Dynamics website being up, but since many wish to see the new improved "Advantages of Ford Over Chevy" page, I'd like you to get a look at it...frankly, it's one of my favorite pages on the entire site and I'm elated to know that others remember it.

So go ahead and click on the company name in my signature line. The website will open in a new window. Still needs fine tuning and tweaking, but it's time to step up so...

Paul

p.s.: "Advantages of Ford Over Chevy" is at the bottom of the page listings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
here's a little antidote, not sure if it means anything but i got a kick out of it.
a couple years ago my buddy wanted a new motor for his jet boat. it had a strong running mostly stock 460 in it. for some reason he was convinced he had to go BBC to have serious HP.
we went down to the local chebbie builder who's very well known and builds some pretty nasty motors. the guy tells my buddy, not to waste money on the chebbie motor because the BBF will always out power it for the money. this is from a guy who basically makes his living from building GM's

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job Paul! It is just what I was looking for. Great pages too!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very nice work on the Ford versus Chevy page. All facts and numbers, no hazy theories. The rest of your site looks good, too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
One of favorite things is

All except the Y-Block,the distributers are up front.Man I could shot my 454 yesterday,climbing across that motor to get the cap off.Oh well I deserve it,I bought it haul the car.And yes Paul very nice site!!!!
Take care ,Bob

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
wrenches...

The last time I was at Sears, I bought 5 half inch wrenches and hung them on a peg hook in my garage. I'm down to 3 already. LOL. I think my wife is taking them.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts