460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 F250 HD 460.

About a year ago i had a whistle at idle, let my mechanic have it, it was a bad TB gasket.

About a month ago it started again. So i changed the gasket and it didnt seal. Tried 2 gaskets, nothing, got pissed and sprayed copper sealant around the outside of TB till it shut up. That lasted a week.

So i pulled it back off cleaned everything up and put 1 gasket on (the right way) torqued the bottom 2 bolts first (it seems to not seal on bottom) and its been fine till yesterday. I towed 6300lbs or so 35 mi and when i pulled in the driveway i heard it. Did what i had to do, (truck sat for about 3 hrs), fired it up it wasnt whistleing at idle, but now it does it (loudly) about 3500rpm.

WTF is causing the TB gasket to do this? It continues running fine but its annoying as hell. When i had it off i used a straight edge and nothing seems warped....

Any ideas???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi maybe its not the TB gasket.. when you take it off look at it real good and see it you can see where it might not be sealing? should be an impression of the sealing service's.. maybe its farther in another part of the intake from the hose inward??
When you take it off to replace it what other parts are you moving? that might be sealing when you move them and then get lose as you drive.
good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi maybe its not the TB gasket.. when you take it off look at it real good and see it you can see where it might not be sealing? should be an impression of the sealing service's.. maybe its farther in another part of the intake from the hose inward??
When you take it off to replace it what other parts are you moving? that might be sealing when you move them and then get lose as you drive.
good luck take care be safe
tim
I cant see any imprints of where its sealing. The only other things that i take loose are the air intake hoses and the big vaccuum line underneath the hoses, both of which seem to seal good. Ive sprayed ether around the tb when its running and when i hit underneath itll about stall the motor.

I guess i could put a hose clamp around that big hose under the intake hoses and see if thats it....ive never had this much trouble with one before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your problem is in the TB. ' when I spray ether around the bottom it about stalls' should be your first clue.

Stock bolts or dod you drop a couple and grabbed what you had?
Don't tighten the bottom first, tighten all the bolts evenly. You may have warped or bent the flange.

Try this, put two flat washers under all the bolt heads and tighten them evenly. If that helps solve the issue, shorten the bolts.

You may be bottoming the bolts before they are tight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your problem is in the TB. ' when I spray ether around the bottom it about stalls' should be your first clue.

Stock bolts or dod you drop a couple and grabbed what you had?
Don't tighten the bottom first, tighten all the bolts evenly. You may have warped or bent the flange.

Try this, put two flat washers under all the bolt heads and tighten them evenly. If that helps solve the issue, shorten the bolts.

You may be bottoming the bolts before they are tight.
No i used all the original bolts. I tightend the bottom first after it had already started leaking and replaced it for the second time. First time i snugged them all down in a "X" pattern then torqued in the same sequence.

If i use the washers the gasket will be to thin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts