460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got ballzy and drove my truck to the mud bog and i was cruisin about 60-70 and the motor was only like 2000-2500 rpm and it got up to about 220-230 degrees and shootin water and hissin out the overflow.
no thermostat
93 octane, electric fan , no shroud, stock 3 core radiator
only has mild cam and intake, stock compression

it still takes a long time to warm up engine since no thermostat but it used to sit around 190 degrees whether idling or driving

head gasket?

just not sure why it overheats with 70mph wind comin through the grill!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Might want to put a thermostat back in it, put a shroud on it and take a garden hose and make sure the cooling fins are not clogged with mud !

Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
some times with no thermostat the water does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool it, may need to put a restricter maybe start with a 3/4 hole and see what happens good luck

·
Registered
560 Posts
with your stock 3 core you may need a shroud and t' stat as was suggested.i run a 4 core in mine with no shroud and the bottom is clogged with mud and even with temps in the 90's i drive it to the boggs and back with a 180 stat. never goes over 190 usually bounces around 180

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Rich I do about the same. 3 core, no shroud but fan only about 3/4 inch away from the radiator(to still pull) and a thermostat also. always at 185!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got my electric fan right against my radiator is that bad??? it sucks air as strong as a turbine so i thought it would be fine!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Like McQ said, check and see if the rad fins are blocked. Hold a light on the backside of rad and look through the front and you'll be amazed at what can get stuck in there. Also drain the water down enough to see the tops of the cores on the inside and see if they're corroded shut. And make sure the bottom hose has the spring inside it so it doesn't get sucked shut.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Your electric fan is truning the right way correct? not pushing air but sucking it into the engine bay so that its not fighting incoming air as your cruizing down the highway?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep i have the fan sucking air into the bay

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
should i put some space between the fan and rad?

oh and i found out today i actually DID have a 180 thermo in it, so i put a 160 in it, little to no difference, guess ill hunt down a fan shroud somewhere

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have one, an electric fan shroud that covers the entire radiator (or close) may need flaps to allow the air to be pushed through the radiator and out the shroud. When the Fan is on it will pull the flaps closed but when your driving at highway speed you need the air to be able to get through the radiator and through the mount/shroud.

Here is a pic. I stole from the 'net that shows the relief flaps.

~Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts