460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do Chev people, when asked about their engine always have to add, "small block" or "big block" to it as if no one would know unless they tell it?
Last night while "Stinks all out" was on, I heard most say when asked that;
"Its a 355-----small block chev",
"Its a 540 big block chev", "its a 468-----big block chevy,WTH else would it be?
I mean, the ci alone tells you what it is, and whats the deal with the "Its a small block 400" I wasnt aware that they made a big block 400, a 402, yes I have seen that.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
It's a lot more common than one might think. The other day I was "searching by engine" on the Summit site for stuff for a 460, and to my surprise, they have a dropdown window after selecting 460 for you to select either big block 385 series or small block windsor. I bet they have more.

Tom

·
Registered
708 Posts
bcr466 said:
...whats the deal with the "Its a small block 400" I wasnt aware that they made a big block 400, a 402, yes I have seen that.
The 396/402 was actually marketed as a 400 during 1970 in certain vehicles...many parts catalogs would specify "400 2 bbl." for the SBC, and "400 4 bbl." for the BBC, as that's how they were equipped that year....though that's not quite accurate, either. The 402 was also referred to as the 396.

Why? Dunno. Since half of the population couldn't say whether they had a small block, big block, 2 bbl., or 4 bbl., we generally asked them to go count the number of bolts on the long things with the stickers on them...if they couldn't get that right....well....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Homespun91 said:
bcr466 said:
...whats the deal with the "Its a small block 400" I wasnt aware that they made a big block 400, a 402, yes I have seen that.
The 396/402 was actually marketed as a 400 during 1970 in certain vehicles...many parts catalogs would specify "400 2 bbl." for the SBC, and "400 4 bbl." for the BBC, as that's how they were equipped that year....though that's not quite accurate, either. The 402 was also referred to as the 396.

Why? Dunno. Since half of the population couldn't say whether they had a small block, big block, 2 bbl., or 4 bbl., we generally asked them to go count the number of bolts on the long things with the stickers on them...if they couldn't get that right....well....
Think it's as high as half? My guess is well under 10%

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
two why

double why-- BB Ford, FE or 429/460 SB ford Wibdsow or Cleveland. also on the BB can trow in the MEL, plus 234/312 Y for SB. this is in the time frame of chevy's two block sizes

·
Registered
928 Posts
moparman said:
Here's a question, the Pontiac 326. Is it a big block? Externally it's the same size as the 455.
And this is different then ford FE how? 332 is physically same size as a 428.

and even the 385 series a 370 which in my mind constitutes "small block" cubes is teh same size as a 460.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts