460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
That's a weak transmission. I'd try the 4r100 if anything. It came in the Lightnings and all of the Superduties. It's a much stronger transmission. I'd give a call to BTS ( Brians Truck Shop) in Ar. He has been known to build some killer diesel transmissions. Plus if you can break it he will fix it. So long as he knows what it's intended use is. We are talking 700hp 1200-1500ftlbs engines. If I had the money that's what I would use.

Lock-up converter
electronic control (there is a company out there that makes a controler that he can program for you)

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are 2 reasons you don't see a built version of the 4R70W: the electronics and the fact that the 4R70W IS the built version. The 4R70W is an upgraded version of the AOD-E. A lot of the 4R parts can be used to upgrade the AOD, which is non-electonic. The AOD has a reputation of being a good, tuff trans when outfitted with the right parts and a Lentech valve body (see Danny's post.)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm not sure which transmission jones was referring to, so just to clarify,
Lentech makes two versions of their Strip Terminator AOD:

Stage 1 Strip Terminator AOD capable of withstanding 1000 horsepower
Stage 2 Strip Terminator AOD capable of withstanding 1500 horsepower

The Stage 1 can be built with or without a lockup torque converter (not sure about the Stage 2).

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I'm sorry I don't think the bellhousing will come off of a 4R100. It's made to mate up to the modular engines and the diesel engines.

Like I said, they can be built for diesel truck pullers making 700-800hp and 1000-1400ftlbs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
For the 4R100, you'd get the E4OD case from a big block truck or van and have the internals upgraded. Much the of the same stuff (actually, both are pretty much a C6 with overdrive). One warning, either of these OD's are massive in size and weight..

The aod has been proven by several people on here to live behind a decent big block with the right mods, and it is living behind 600+ hp turbo small blocks fairly regularly..

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I would want it mainly for the capability of lock-up converter and being able to control the shift points.

I had heard once that the 4R100 and AOD shared alot of the same design. No one ever went into any indepth talks about it with me though.

Overdrive of course too!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tranny

I have aan E4OD with 4R100 internals in my 460 powered Capri that works fine with the Baumann processor. I don't lock the converter till I am over 70 mph. There is only about 200 rpm drop with a locked torque converter and at lower speeds I would rather have it unlocked. At 70mph and 3.70 gears my old C6 w/3800 stall turned about 3500 rpm and with the e4od runs about 2200 and 2000 with locked converter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No. The TorqueCommand is completely different. It is a five speed OD whereas the E4 and 4R100 were 4 speed. I've rebuilt an E4 and yes, they are basically an electronic C6 with OD. As Jim W stated these transmissions are HUGE.

·
Registered
460 Posts
4r70w

If its a newer one 2000 up it is very strong. You would have to buy a adapter plate which Lenteck sells and use a bauman computer. Id take it anyday over the E4od dinasour unless its in a VERY big truck. The newer 4r70w has the Diode sprag that makes it VERY strong, even stock!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts