460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked for cam lube at the auto parts. They sold me Federal Mogul assembly lube, but it is a thick green lubricant rather than the black/grey moly that I have used in the past.
Is this stuff ok for cam install, or is it primarily for other components?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
792 Posts
Used to be great stuff. Who knows now...?

·
Registered
518 Posts

James I suppose most of the "Engine Break-in Additives" contain Moly. As to the "Assembly lube" I'm not sure. Log onto the products manufacturer's web site, they may provide the information you seek.

In the past I've not had issues with camshaft or engine "break-in" with the absence of Moly in oils or assembly lubes. Although, on my latest FE project and continued recommendation of Comp cams inserted Comp's "Engine Break-in oil additive" into the engine oil. I suppose it's a "mind thing"! After listening to this recommendation over and over, the price of components and the price and labor of rebuilding an engine with camshaft failure, ten bucks seems pretty cheap "mind insurance"! Does it help? Hell, who knows! I believe if a person does the homework, engine woes are few if any!

To make a long story shorter, check for the Moly additive if your looking to protect components from metal to metal contact.

Happy motoring,
Dave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts