460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gutting my Mustang body for my new project. What's the best way to remove the windshield beside a BFH. I'd like to keep the glass shards to a minimum. Any advise appreciated.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Get yourself a length of small braided cable. Poke a small hole in the seal and feed the cable through between the frame and windsheild.

Make some makeshift handles to wrap the cable around . Have one person inside and one person outside and "see-saw" the cable cutting the seal/sealant. Takes a bit to get the angle just right but it works well.

Get on the inside and place your feet evenly spaced and push the glass right out. :lol:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Or...

Option 2...

Use a roll of duct tape, tape up the entire surface on the OUTSIDE (the inside is already plastic lined).

Then, hit it in a few spots with a center punch and pull it all out in one chunk.

The wire/saw idea does work...just don't get in a hurry.

Several heat guns also works if you're patient and don't care about the paint.

Personally, I'm not patient enough for either of those methods and would only use them if I wanted to save the glass. Bashing out the glass and cleaning up the edge with a shop vac hose taped to an air scraper is a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ByronRace,
I just worked for over an hour with the braided cable, made some progress, but it's slow going as you said. That and the fact it's sitting on an open trailer in the sun convinced me to try something different. I'll give the duct tape a try and if all else fails I still have several 3 pound hammers at my disposal! Thanks for the ideas, I will not be beaten by the glass!

·
Registered
338 Posts
you can use piano wire it cuts well or they sell the wire at orielys that you use to cut it with also theres an air tool to cut it with it all works best when the glass is hot makes the sealer softer. if all else fails and the glass is good call a glass company they can remove it for you cheaper than you will buy new for

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
go to your glass shop, they will sell the same tool thay use 10-13 dollers, what i did was out in five min. and not broken, u can sell or keep it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts