460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
In talking with a couple of other members here, the idea of a Winter race/gathering has come up. This event might be a blast by itself, but also a sort of "test bed" where we could try a couple of different program ideas that might later be used to improve turnout and car counts at the summer Bash. That's how this got started...."How do we make the Bash a bigger event?" So we're looking for honest input here, to guage car counts, interest, schedule conflicts, financial problems, what have you.

One of the first questions raised was "How many guys keep their stuff running in the cold climate off season?" So there's question #1.....Do you expect your car to be race ready in Nov., Dec. or Jan.? Do you usually tear it down in the off season?

Question #2.......How many of our Northern members would like to come South out of the shitty weather to enjoy a weekend of racing in the sun?
Obviously, only a crazy man wouldn't enjoy that, so......

Question #3.....Could you afford it/ schedule it/include it in a winter vacation?

One thought that's being kicked around is the fact that we'll always have a low turnout if we limit the invitation to 460ford.com members. The summer Bash would probably benefit from a little brand loyalty, too, so to help get cars through the gate and butts in the bleachers, it's been suggested that we could use a flyer and/or other advertising to deliver a polite "slap in the face" to the Chevy and Mopar guys in the area surrounding the chosen track. The brand loyalty thing usually creates a good stir, and I know any self respecting BBF guy would love the chance to take shots at brand X. Taking it a step further, a race that puts a Ford and an off brand in every pair might be a good ticket. Even casual race fans like that stuff......they buy tickets,too. Take a look at the BBF vs BBC thread on Yellowbullet. The possibilities are endless. What about doing this in conjunction with a BBC group and a Mopar group?

In talking with a couple of track operators I know, the finances are pretty much cut and dried. GETTING PEOPLE THROUGH THE GATE IS THE KEY. Track fee of $5000 rents the track for two days, with track prep, track crew, ambulance with EMT's included. The organization that rents the track keeps 100% of the gate and tech card fees, so GETTING PEOPLE THROUGH THE GATE IS THE KEY. Did I already say that?

Keep in mind, we're only trying to guage interest here. If enough guys jump up and say, "Yeah! That's for me!" then we'll discuss it further. If enough guys just yawn or say "Go to hell." we'll do that, too.....I was probably going there anyway, so.....

Input? Ideas? Blow it off?

·
Registered
457 Posts
sounds like a pretty good idea to me, i`d love ta see some o those bad a$$ BBF`s i seen at the bash spankin some o those brand x auto`s you speak of,:D might even make it with my pos should be ready by jan.?;), i hope. where would ya hold said event? if not to far i would defenetly be there:D

·
Registered
555 Posts
sounds like a pretty good idea to me, i`d love ta see some o those bad a$$ BBF`s i seen at the bash spankin some o those brand x auto`s you speak of,:D might even make it with my pos should be ready by jan.?;), i hope. where would ya hold said event? if not to far i would defenetly be there:D
I'm with the Hillbilly:D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, we've looked at tracks in Southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Probably won't look much further until we see lots of interest.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hell yes...Give me an excuse to head South to race.

I usually keep my stuff ready to race until the first of the year..(In case someone has a New Years Day race close.)

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I love racing in the late fall.Sea level or lower altitude cars love it.

Should be some good air that time of year :cool:

Kim called me and was kicking around some ideas, let's here your ideas guys. Pros and Cons.........

Only thing that would keep me away would be financial reasons. My car will still be together over the winter. Hell the only time I've run my car this year was one tnt and at the Bash, so it doesn't have many runs on it so far :rolleyes:

Something else to consider is if/when we have another Winter Tech Seminar. I know Charlie mentioned it to me at the BBF Bash that he wanted to have another winter tech seminar. Maybe combine the two? However I believe Charlie wants to do the Seminar in KY unless we can talk him into a warmer climate ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
372 Posts
We have a really nice race track in noth west la. just reopened with new owners.Thunder road raceway it was a ihra national event track,center of the south and the new owners and manager are really nice guys and would want somthing like this.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
It would have to be after 1st of year for me and the weather for trip down would be iffy.:)

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Yea ... it's not like just hoppin' on a plane ... you gotta get that rig to the place. It's tough to schedule a "commitment" around the Northern weather simply to get there.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth:

I would like to see more BBF people attend the Bash--BUT, I would not like to see the race moved, or every Tom, Dick, and Harry allowed to attend. I know the folks who set the Bash up would like to make a little money (or in this economy at least break even) but one of the things that make the "Bash" special is it's just for US, BBF people.

Two yeara ago I attended the Winter Tech seminar up in Owensboro and was lucky enough to sit at the dinner table with Charlie, Randy, Rick, Blake, and some of the other "really smart" guys. I don't think I said 5 words at dinner; just sat there and listened to the stories and tech discussions. The Bash isn't "just a race", it is soooooooo much more and I wish more of the guys on this forum could attend. I know it's expensive to come to Owensboro from points West and East but if you race a Big Block Ford you need to attend THIS race. I really mean that guys, do whatever it takes to make next year's event. From the time you arrive in Owensboro to the time you leave you are surrounded by people who want to talk about Big Block Fords. You can go by BF Evans Ford and annoy Lem, go by Mike's shop, they may be dynoing somebody's motor; go see Jet Boat Bob's shop (wow)! Oh did I mention the Texas Roadhouse? Say hi to all the Coug's girl friends:) AND you get to see some of the best Fords in the country do some racing. I'll get off my soap box now.

Nick, if you can set something up for Gainsville this winter I think Boo Boo would show up with our car:D

Bruce

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth:

I would like to see more BBF people attend the Bash--BUT, I would not like to see the race moved, or every Tom, Dick, and Harry allowed to attend. I know the folks who set the Bash up would like to make a little money (or in this economy at least break even) but one of the things that make the "Bash" special is it's just for US, BBF people.

Two yeara ago I attended the Winter Tech seminar up in Owensboro and was lucky enough to sit at the dinner table with Charlie, Randy, Rick, Blake, and some of the other "really smart" guys. I don't think I said 5 words at dinner; just sat there and listened to the stories and tech discussions. The Bash isn't "just a race", it is soooooooo much more and I wish more of the guys on this forum could attend. I know it's expensive to come to Owensboro from points West and East but if you race a Big Block Ford you need to attend THIS race. I really mean that guys, do whatever it takes to make next year's event. From the time you arrive in Owensboro to the time you leave you are surrounded by people who want to talk about Big Block Fords. You can go by BF Evans Ford and annoy Lem, go by Mike's shop, they may be dynoing somebody's motor; go see Jet Boat Bob's shop (wow)! Oh did I mention the Texas Roadhouse? Say hi to all the Coug's girl friends:) AND you get to see some of the best Fords in the country do some racing. I'll get off my soap box now.

Nick, if you can set something up for Gainsville this winter I think Boo Boo would show up with our car:D

Bruce
Well said Bruce :) I agree.
And while those BIG checks are nice, I think alot of us would race at the BASH for less prize money. Heck, I've travelled to weekly bracket races that paid ALOT less.
Nick, If you set something up, I bet we would show up.:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think everyone that was at this years bash should take it upon them selves to talk at least one other ford guy to attend, if it is not a big block at least keep it ford, I already got two other guys talked into coming next year one big block, one cleveland, working on more, so guys, get started, talk to your buddies, lets keep it ford. :mad: :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts