460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reached the point of my build where I am doing the wiring. My question is how do you wire the charging lugs to the battery? Do you wire them downstream of the master switch? Before the switch? Is the positive hot while you are running? This seems to be the last thing keeping me from completing the wiring. Any photos of what you guys have done would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I have reached the point of my build where I am doing the wiring. My question is how do you wire the charging lugs to the battery? Do you wire them downstream of the master switch? Before the switch? Is the positive hot while you are running? This seems to be the last thing keeping me from completing the wiring. Any photos of what you guys have done would be greatly appreciated.
Since they don't service anything while the vehicle is running I think that they can leagally be wired before the disconnect switch. That's what I did on my Rail. That way you don't HAVE to have the disconnect on and there would be no mistakes made by thinking that the car had no power when it did. Does that make sense?

Since my battery is in the front of my car (for ballast) and the master disconnect is about 8' away and because weight is the enemy and I didn't want to run about 30' of #0GA cable to the master and back to the battery, I installed a constant duty solonoid right close to the battery on my toe board and signal the primary side with 16GA wire and break it in the drivers compartment, on the driver protecter plate (for emergency system shut down while doing run ups) and back at the back of the car to satisfy the santioning body's rules with a regular battery disconnect and handle assembly (over kill I know but it was a simple install). That gives the car 3 real system shut down points.
Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if keeping the positive lug hot all the time was the best option. I know it has the plastic cover. This is going into a 93 Mustang hatch with the battery in the trunk so everything is right there. I even considered putting in a separate cut off switch between the lug and the battery just to keep it cold unless charging.

Mark

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Rob,

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if keeping the positive lug hot all the time was the best option. I know it has the plastic cover. This is going into a 93 Mustang hatch with the battery in the trunk so everything is right there. I even considered putting in a separate cut off switch between the lug and the battery just to keep it cold unless charging.

Mark
Mark, If it's the type that I'm thinking about, like a welding lead male and female, then I think that it will either be a recessed female end for the car side or they have a plastic cover. Let me research it.
Rob

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts