460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i would like to use the factory frame but fab a nice front suspension in 2 wheel drive form. i no people have used jaguar suspensions but they are hard to come by in this area and i just like the sound of doing it myself. i guess i could do a mustang 2 style suspension but just cant break my self to spend 1500-2000 dollars on something i think i can build with a little helpfull info from someone who has done it before

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The F1 frame is pretty narrow. Measure it and go to the wrecking yard and see if you can find anything close. Decide on the engine and trans combo that you plan on using and that will dictate if you're looking for a front steer or a rear steer clip. Personally, I think that you'll be hard pressed to find something to match it, and not to mention you'll be working with a rear suspension and frame rails that are 60 years old and usually the pickups from that era were used for everything from hauling out stumps to bringing in the hay lol. Used hard. My suggestion would be to take a late model 2WD frame that the engine and tranny combo already fits in (with headers) and mount the cab and bed on there. It isn't hard.....in fact it's a lot less work than grafting on a front clip. The F1 has a pretty flat floor so you'll most likely have to put a tranny tunnel kit into it, I've done it, again, not hard. JMHO.
Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks rob that was another find a ranger and make the body fit but we were tring to stay as original as possible the rear suspension is going to be replaced with a explorer rear and springs but if i can find a decent ranger frame that may be the way to go
mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a friend that has a f1 on a 78 f150 short bed frame and it all lined up good its got a body lift so tranny wasn't a problem on it. I would think 2 wheel would line up the same. We are now putting a 54 on a 78 frame also, we do not want a body lift on this one so we are going to have to build a tunnel for it. When I say lined up, I mean the wheel openings, the body mounts have to be modified but no big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts