460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something I have been wondering about. The Asian auto makers built plants here in the US years ago. No doubt with help and insentives from Uncle Sam and the states where they located. What I am wanting to know is, do Ford, GM or Chrysler have similar assembly plants in Japan? Do we have dealers there? Does anyone know how this works? ... Jon

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Jon, From what I've heard we have no assembly plants in Japan and sell very few cars there due in part to import taraffs and trade restrictions. Japan enjoys a protectionism that limits the sale of imported goods unless it is something they need such as food. We export alot of produce and other commodities such as rice. Do we impliment trade restrictions the same as Japan? IMO if we do the quality of our products will deteriorate just as it did in the 70s because our companies will not have to compete in an open market.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
GM does have Plants in China, No Automakers have any direct plants in Japan, but some US makers do own substantial portions of some Japanese Automakers. Mazada, Mitsubishi, Ect.

Gm and Ford Both have substantial plants in Austrailia and Ford has a bunch of stuff in Europe.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I can't speak much as to the current state of things in Japan in regards to the auto industry-some info below. However, as of a few years ago-

The U.S. automakers were virtually prohibited from producing anything for the Japanese domestic market, inasmuch as the laws & regulations were so restrictive. This was done deliberately-not just in the automotive field, but most other areas as well- to restrict imports of all kinds.

If you look at the import vs. export trade balance of Japan, for example, in 2007, the overall balance was about 73 trillion yen imported vs. 84 trillion yen exported. However, if you subtract oil & other mineral fuels, the balance becomes 53T vs. 84T. yen.

If you subtract other raw materials & chemicals used for manufacturing...(not including foodstuffs in the subtraction) the ratio becomes 41.6T vs. 84T. yen.

GM does have a small segment of its global operations dedicated to Japan. http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/global_operations/asia_pacific/japa.jsp under General Motors Asia Pacific & General Motors Japan (two separate companies). When you review the product line, however, the Corvette & the Trailblazer are about the only U.S.-made vehicles...the rest are Asian-sourced from Suzuki, or distributed/modified by Mitsui. Japanese laws generally require that foreign companies either partner with Japanese companies, or that the Japanese "branch" be a wholly separate company with only vestigial ties to the U.S. firm.

Ford is represented, on a limited basis, by Ford Japan Ltd. http://www.ford.co.jp/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=DFY/JP To give a limited idea, Ford sold about 6200 vehicles in Japan in 2005, from 84 dealerships.

Total import share in Japan for cars & light trucks/SUVs is around 5% of that market, more or less....the total share of imported TRANSPORT EQUIPMENT (which includes cars, trucks, and equipment like loaders, excavators, etc.) is only 3.5% of that 73.1 trillion yen.

Probably more than you were looking for, :), but the subject interests me quite a bit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
RJP said:
Jon, From what I've heard we have no assembly plants in Japan and sell very few cars there due in part to import taraffs and trade restrictions. Japan enjoys a protectionism that limits the sale of imported goods unless it is something they need such as food. We export alot of produce and other commodities such as rice. Do we impliment trade restrictions the same as Japan? IMO if we do the quality of our products will deteriorate just as it did in the 70s because our companies will not have to compete in an open market.
and as a result of tariffs everything there is ultra expensive. Which is why Japanese fly overseas here to buy clothes then take them home.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Alabama is a state of just 4 million people yet is listed as 13th of 50 on "federal funds for state usage" and have at least two Asian automakers assembly plants in that state with NO big 3 ties.

Ask them and they will adamantly tell you that if it's made in Alabama it is AMERICAN ... hog wash.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I remember in the late 90's when I went to a Ford Training Center, they had a world map on the wall that showed all the car companies worldwide and linked their affiates in other countries. It was amazing the comapnies that were in bed together. Kia, the korean car company was linked to Ford for a long time. the festiva was actually made by Kia for Ford. That got Kia's feet in the door in the us and taught therm how to get their cars in the us. It wasn't long after that, they split and Kia now sells their own cars here.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Kia, the korean car company was linked to Ford for a long time. the festiva was actually made by Kia for Ford. That got Kia's feet in the door in the us and taught therm how to get their cars in the us. It wasn't long after that, they split and Kia now sells their own cars here.

See what happens when you sleep together with out being married. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also most of the KIA cars look like FORD cars. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm all for the Big 3 and they employee a lot of people. I don't want to see anyone loose the retirement or job. I might not agree with how things have been ran in the past but that doesn't mean it's worth the millions of people that will be un-employed. (You never know Kia could swoop in and buy GM!! :shock: ) It seems all they have to do is come up with a good, better, best busniess plan and they might be on their way to some $$$.

But don't dis on the car plants here in the south. They put a lot of people to work also. Those jobs could have been any where else in the world.

I do feel like we might end-up loosing one of the big three and I can't help but to think of Chrysler.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
On the news last night here in L. A. Ca Was a report on how bad the storage yards at the port are as they are full of Mercedes & BMW's. It was reported that all the dealerships are full and can't sell what they have on hand, and nowhere to put the excess cars. The cost to let them sit at the port is huge. They showed the mess from the news chopper.
Van

·
Registered
240 Posts
It wasn't just the Euro cars it was all the imports. Although I do wonder why Mercedes and BMW come through Long Beach, I guess it's cheaper for the boat to go around than for a truck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know this will get me smacked around a bit, but I'd like to throw a few ideas out and see your opinions back.
On the bail out plan, couldn't the Government get rid of the Unions? It seems employees make a bunch of money for the jobs they do, and have BENEFITS. I've never worked for the plants, or really know any that have, but I worked in Ford dealerships for 14 years and WE are the workers that make the repeat customer, we are the "face" that customers see and trust. Ford gives us no retirement or any other benefits at all. WE are held liable for cars that were not assembled (or engineered) correctly!!! Warranty times have dropped, techs are not making the money they deserve. I think it's about time the factory workers took a "hit." You talk Unions at a dealership, and you won't have a job long... For a little over a year now, I've worked for one of those nation chain Used Car dealerships, no more starving at Ford.

S

·
0 Posts
Duane said:
I know this will get me smacked around a bit, but I'd like to throw a few ideas out and see your opinions back.
On the bail out plan, couldn't the Government get rid of the Unions? It seems employees make a bunch of money for the jobs they do, and have BENEFITS. I've never worked for the plants, or really know any that have, but I worked in Ford dealerships for 14 years and WE are the workers that make the repeat customer, we are the "face" that customers see and trust. Ford gives us no retirement or any other benefits at all. WE are held liable for cars that were not assembled (or engineered) correctly!!! Warranty times have dropped, techs are not making the money they deserve. I think it's about time the factory workers took a "hit." You talk Unions at a dealership, and you won't have a job long... For a little over a year now, I've worked for one of those nation chain Used Car dealerships, no more starving at Ford.
I worked for Ford here in Cali as well.. Yep No Union deals.. As a newbe worker I had my share of Areostar Ign Switch recalls, Contour recalls, the "Missing AS etchinging on the window" and the shifter problems. Umm the Ford Truck with the recall on the locator for the plastict fuel tank. Those locators are held in with the rivits from Hell. Every pita truck came in full of fuel! Tarus subframe nuts... Ya have to pull the carpet back and drill a 2 1/2 hole in the floorboard to remove the nuts... I got tired of dealing with the crap and quit..

Umm and oh ya.. I did some recalls and Ford said in there best intrest to reduce the hours of repair. I got a notice that some of the recalls now got lower times and my flagged hours will reflect it..

Thank God for the Fox Body Mustang but just can't work at the dealer..

Les

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Duane said:
On the bail out plan, couldn't the Government get rid of the Unions?

If they file for bankrupcy they could....then re-organize and set up all the workers as non-union just like EVERYONE of the non-Big 3 plants are here in the states.

Not a single "foreign" brand auto plant here in the US is unionized....(as per a report on NPR)

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
From what I've heard/read GM spends more on health care than they do on steel when they build a pickup. That's crazy! We have a customer who comes in our shop who works at the Chrysler plant about 75 miles away. When he's laid off and that's quite often several times a year for a few weeks at a time he get's 85% of his full pay! And his full pay is a LOT of money. He's not much of a skilled worker either.

Now it would be very easy to blame the unions for this and I'd say that they are to blame for taking what they could get for the workers. BUT shouldn't weak management take even more of the blame for ever letting that happen? Ever letting them get into this situation. I would assume that their projections for market growth, profits and all of that were optimistic when compared to the cost of workers who's health care and benefits have been going for longer than they ever worked for the company, they never expected them to live so long after retirement!

Who knows but these are interesting times for all car makers.

I heard a story on the radio this morning about how new battery technology of the future could make it possible to switch to electric cars exclusively and this will eliminate most need for foreign oil yet it will INCREASE the need for materials to make these batteries. Stuff like cobalt that's a rare element which comes from places like the Congo. So we trade the middle east for sub Saharan Africa.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts