460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to a web page I just put together showing the new forged crank. I have some pictures of us doing the balancing work as well as a few other pictures of the crankshaft. In the pictures there are a few shots of the forged crank compared to the Scat 9000 and a Scat billet. I also try to illustrate the differences in the journal area which can cause interference if used in the SVO A-460 block.

It's a simple but helpful page.

http://www.fidnet.com/~frd427/BigFordCrankshaft.html

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
good info

Good info Dave, Thanks a lot. I was wondering about the need for mallory metal.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Fitment Problems

Dave,

Lem and Jet Boat Bob have encountered those same "journal to A-460 block" problems that you've had. Lem was telling me about them last night. Bob had to do some machining in order to clearance everything. The Scat cast 9000 Series 4.300" crank would fit, but the forged one would not fit. No thrust movement.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks!

This is just the info we're looking for. I'm in the market for one of those cranks, but am waiting to see what kind of problems will crop up. Now, if someone will just put one in a 1,000 hp engine, we'll see how they hold up...

Thx,

Scott

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob Weight, weight

It is true that the crank in this case the 4.500 stroke version was able to be balanced without using any heavy metal. But, Wes' engine has aluminum rods and a bob weight of only 2112 grams, that's about 200 grams lighter than most bob weights are in one of these engines if built with a steel rod, so do keep that thought in mind.... I'm not sure about the 4.300 stroke version but it might be easier to balance with a steel rod and it's somewhat heavier bob weight.

·
8,523 Posts
Charlie , The info about the lack of endplay with the crank is the same info you have . I talked to Dave twice this week .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts