460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With a set of D0VE heads that's a little over 12:1 static compression. Impressive for a 429. Like to have a set of those for mine.
I can have them on made to order by Diamond and on your doorstep in two weeks. ;)

(I'm showing 12.86:1 though)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Carl,

Did you ever lower the nose on that thing (see 1st video)? Also, I recommend a steering box upgrade. I hear that a SPA-T from a 71 Mustang is an improvement. I gutted the one from a 72 Mustang and put it back together with 1989 Z28 parts. Big difference.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey Carl,

Did you ever lower the nose on that thing (see 1st video)? Also, I recommend a steering box upgrade. I hear that a SPA-T from a 71 Mustang is an improvement. I gutted the one from a 72 Mustang and put it back together with 1989 Z28 parts. Big difference.
The car sits about an inch off the bump stops with the cut coils. The nose up deal in the video is purely air-induced. I did actually make an air dam for B-ville, but we'll have to wait and see how it works I guess. Nothing fancy, just something I hacked together in about an hour with sheet metal and conveyor belt material. It sits about 3" off the ground, and as you can see still scrapes a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Okay, so the salt didn't happen this year. Got my entry in for next year's SORC and should find out in a couple of weeks if I got in or not. Alternatives will be the BBORR or Bonneville.

So....time to build a new engine.

I've been collecting parts for most of the year, and I'm currently working on initial mock-up and porting the heads/intake.

Build parameters:
-needs enough vac for power brakes
-has to rev to 6500 (for top speed runs)
-will run at 4500+rpm for extended periods
-pump gas (at 3500+ elevation)
-cross country durability/drivability

Short-block:
514 CID
D0VE-A block
Nodular iron 4.150 stroke crankshaft
4340 H-beams, 6.700 length
SRP 4032 alloy pistons, +.080 bore, -28cc dish
Total Seal file fit moly rings
King XP bearings

Top end kit:
A429 heads with Ferrea 2.3/1.76 valves and Lunati springs, etc.
Lunati roller rockers
Lunati 3/8 custom length pushrods
Lunati custom solid flat tappet (244/[email protected], .607/.633, 118LS)
Lunati solid flat lifters with edm oiling
Lunati 9-key billet double roller timing set
Torker II intake port matched to heads
Holley/Proform 1050 carb with annular boosters

Projections are 655HP and 633TQ at sea level (500HP / 492TQ at local 6200ft elevation).

Attached is a graph showing the current 429 vs. the new 514.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cool car, Carl. I like big cars and I can't deny....lol.
I'm starting to finally move forward on my '74 Montego MX. Just a fun street car but I'm gathering parts to put together a 521 with SCJ-A heads. Scotty J. is gonna do a little touch up on the heads for me.

Anyway, good luck on your ride. Looks like you're gonna have some serious power there. :)

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
good luck on your ride. Looks like you're gonna have some serious power there. :)
Thanks. I think the hardest part is going to be getting this thing painted this year. The engine is ready for final assembly, just need to find the time.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Sounds like a great build I can't wait to see the video runs, she should build rpm quick and hum right along.

Have you been using the Lunati Roller Rockers much? I just happened to see them in the new summit catalog and they seem like a nice piece.

D

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds like a great build I can't wait to see the video runs, she should build rpm quick and hum right along.

Have you been using the Lunati Roller Rockers much? I just happened to see them in the new summit catalog and they seem like a nice piece.

D
It's the only alum roller rocker I use anymore. High quality and the geometry works well for most BBF applications.

·
Registered
900 Posts
montego gt

I love it, those cars are awsome. I can't wait to see the car once you put a new motor in it. That car is pretty rare I've never seen one with a 460 in it. SWEET

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I love it, those cars are awsome. I can't wait to see the car once you put a new motor in it. That car is pretty rare I've never seen one with a 460 in it. SWEET
Thanks.

Of the ~4500 GT's produced in 1973, only 302 were built with the 429. None with 460's. Last time I checked with the registry, there were only 14 documented survivors. It's actually rarer than a Boss 429 Mustang.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally, the cancer surgery has begun........

·
Registered
666 Posts
Are you going to paint it back red after you get all the work done?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Are you going to paint it back red after you get all the work done?
Yup, sticking with the factory 2B - Bright Red. Still considering what to do with stripes and such.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fantastic story! Between you and Scotty with your bigger car builds it gives us alot to think about. Efficiency and performance go hand in hand when I look at a car to occasionally wind up tight and still want to cruise and enjoy. Maybe even beatup on a newer, fuel injected, car that somebody just bought.Theres nothing like showing tail lights to these guys.
Anyway, good luck and keep the thread going! I for one want to read about that/those fords that couldn't be caught! Ernie

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Well you have your work cut out for you. I hate body work like that. I can't wait to see what it looks like with paint on it. This is a super cool car to build. You don't see many of them anymore at all. My 1993 Mustang is a......well just another 1993 Mustang. Keep us updated. Nice job!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well you have your work cut out for you.
No I don't. Way too busy building engines right now and need it done before this racing season, so I asked a friend to take care of it and handed him a big fat stack of cash.

:D

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New engine is coming along too....

Had a little issue with valve clipping at 2.24/1.8, so we turned the valves down to 2.23 and 1.76 to fix it. Picture below is with the valves at max overlap, which isn't much given the 118 LS.

21 - 40 of 159 Posts