460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hooker Header questions; what part number? Is that same chassis as Galaxie or Torino?
Same as Torino, not sure about the Galaxie. Hooker 6126 is what I'm running. Knowing what I know now, I'd be tempted to build my own if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Finally getting the heads wrapped up. Machine work and port work are all done. Decided to try out a package using unusually small diameter springs (for a big block). It's a combination for an entirely different application, but it all just happened to fit with the combination of parts I'm suing here. As an added bonus, the small springs bring the weight down to a level that's comparable with titanium parts on larger diameter springs.

Final pressures are set to 130 on the seat and 354/359 over the nose. With the inner springs removed for break-in, pressures are 90/205.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!!!!

That thing looks GREAT Carl! I didn't know a Montego could look that good! Now I have one more thing I need before I die. A MONTEGO!

Looks awesome man! I love it!

.....crap! Sorry Bobn. I got a fox. But the good news is it's only a 521. ....so I got that going for me. :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
that looks pretty damn good, I did not know that a montego could look that cool, great job Carl so when will the new engine be ready?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks guys. Painting the car has been a long time coming. It's interesting how different people's reactions are now even though it's the same old loud, smelly, obnoxious car. I pulled into a parking lot the other day, and people litterally started coming from all directions to take pictures of it.

The new engine is on the way-way back burner. Had an issue with the cam grinder and getting it resolved has delayed things enough that wrapping it up and installing it in the car before the races this summer is out of the question. Maybe if I had nothing else going on but I'm also swamped with work, which I'm grateful for, so the old 429 will be staying in the car a while longer.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
What a great event!

Day one: Open time trials with highest top speed winning. Trophies to the top two in each class. I decided to run the car in street trim, them make changes from there.

Density altitude was hoovering around 9600 feet most of the day.

1st run: 750 carb, full exhaust....111mph
2nd run: 750 carb, open exhaust.....115mph
3rd run: 1050 carb, open exhaust....117mph
4th run: 1050 carb, more timing....115mph
5th run: 1050 carb, bigger jets.....117mph
6th run: hot lapped it and ran 115mph

Top two speeds for the day in my class (naturally aspirated) were 145mph and 149mph posted by a Z06 Vette and a Lambo Aventador. Unlimited top speed was 228? posted by some sort of Lambo.

--------------------------------

Day two: Open time trials/qualifying in the morning with the four highest top speeds in each class advancing to a roll-racing single elimination backet. ZephyrBob drove out from MN to spectate and help as needed. Also saw a couple other guys from the forum there spectating. Had a few more "vintage" cars come out to play on the second day, so that was cool.

Made four runs pulling a little timing out with each run, and running better each time hitting a 119mph by the end of qualifying. Didn't make the top four, but I think I was fifth in my class. Not bad for the lilttle old 429 (mildly ported D3's, 224/234 cam, Performer intake, 10.5:1 compression).

-All set for the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack. First event of it's kind to ever be run on an active commercial airport.

-Lined up in the staging lanes. The Aventador next to me chickened out and pulled out of line so he wouldn't have to race me.

-Break in the action while a jet crosses the runway we were using.

-Out on the airstrip at speed.

-Top speed of the day.

And a video of my run against a Trans Am that had a 455 under the hood.

http://youtu.be/mhy5YFm1YIg

:D

·
Registered
666 Posts
That is awesome a 1/2 mile and on a airstrip that is being used!!!!

That little t/a got the hit and still got passed lol!! The car looks like it runs, great work on it Carl.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Please don't PM me crap like this..

"""Hey, if you want to run your car at triple digit speeds on public roads, that's your business, but I'd prefer that you delete it from my thread.

Thanks,
Carl ""

the pot calling the kettle black...Ill get right on that :rolleyes:
PS: if you bothered to read the caption at the bottom where my video is, it states that I did that on a private/closed road!! JUST LIKE YOU DID

puhleeeeese

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Please don't PM me crap like this..

"""Hey, if you want to run your car at triple digit speeds on public roads, that's your business, but I'd prefer that you delete it from my thread.

Thanks,
Carl ""

the pot calling the kettle black...Ill get right on that :rolleyes:
PS: if you bothered to read the caption at the bottom where my video is, it states that I did that on a private/closed road!! JUST LIKE YOU DID

puhleeeeese
Perhaps Carl didn't see the caption part because you have to click "Show More" in order to see what you are talking about. It isn't immediately obvious. It took me 3 or 4 minutes to figure it out and see what you were talking about. It is there but it is well hidden. Had this NOT been a closed course I'd say his concern was valid. So I'd chalk this up as a misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
gents, the event was awesome! everything you thought you new about racing the quarter did not mean anything here.
......the effort put into pulling this off with the airport officials must have really been something.
......well time to get off the internet and go run my car at brainerd, lol. bob

ps, carl the beast really looks good both standing still and in motion!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
This whole thread is 'Way Cool'. Great job on the Montego!

Hat's off to you Carl, you should be real proud about how you saved this car! :D

41 - 60 of 159 Posts