460 Ford Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Another Airstrip Attack in the books. Mostly a test-n-tune on the new engine, and all went about as expected. Didn't make any changes to the car other than the engine, and picked up 3mph (130 in the 1/2). The bottom end has way more power, but I wasn't able to capitalize on it with the 2.75:1 open diff. Figuring I should be able to run 135+ next year with the 3.25:1 trac-loc in there.

Anyhow, here's a couple of videos. I was having way too much fun with the 70's music playing. :D

This was the first run of the day against a beautiful 69 GTO Ram Air IV, 400 with a 5-speed and 4.11 rear.

This one was cruising the pits after a run.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I LOVED the way you took it easy off the line and then reeled in the GTO rather quickly!! Awesome video!!
There was no taking it easy....just trying to drive through the tire spin! That GTO flat out hooked! and had the gears to run really strong 0-60. It was a really nice car, great driver/cruiser, and his 10 year old boy was having a ball riding along with him.

·
Registered
553 Posts
IT LOOKS LIKE.......

.....CARL IS ON A SUNDAY DRIVE......DONT IT? :surprise::nerd:

SMOOOOTH!!!!!!

Great job driving and keeping it pointed in the right direction.

Is the music coming from an "in car" stereo, or added to the video later?

Aren't you running a NASCAR style exhaust system?

Pump up the engine noise some -put an external mic in the trunk or somewhere so we can hear some more of that BBF Power you putting down.

What RPMs are you turning?

I bet that Montego is screaming at the top end :D

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
.....CARL IS ON A SUNDAY DRIVE......DONT IT? :surprise::nerd:

SMOOOOTH!!!!!!

Great job driving and keeping it pointed in the right direction.

Is the music coming from an "in car" stereo, or added to the video later?

Aren't you running a NASCAR style exhaust system?

Pump up the engine noise some -put an external mic in the trunk or somewhere so we can hear some more of that BBF Power you putting down.

What RPMs are you turning?

I bet that Montego is screaming at the top end :D
I was keeping it period correct with some "70's greatest hits" playing in the stereo. :D

The exhaust runs through an X-pipe, some flowpacks, Warlock mufflers (which have built in dumps), then out the side exit for street use. For this stuff, I pull the plugs on the dumps and it's wide open unrestricted exhaust. Funny how the camera picked up the music so well. RPM was 5000 on the first shift, 5500 on the second, and only 4500 through the traps. I tried some higher shift points, but 5500 was the best.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was keeping it period correct with some "70's greatest hits" playing in the stereo. :D

The exhaust runs through an X-pipe, some flowpacks, Warlock mufflers (which have built in dumps), then out the side exit for street use. For this stuff, I pull the plugs on the dumps and it's wide open unrestricted exhaust. Funny how the camera picked up the music so well. RPM was 5000 on the first shift, 5500 on the second, and only 4500 through the traps. I tried some higher shift points, but 5500 was the best.

Wow...only 4500 through the traps :eek:

Seems like you leaving a little bit on the table at that RPM......for that distance.

I guess the Monte is geared for the longer runs.

The music seemed louder/clearer on the low end, but as RPMs and speed increased the music died out a bit.

Anyway, the important thing is you had a blast :grin:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Wow...only 4500 through the traps :eek:

Seems like you leaving a little bit on the table at that RPM......for that distance.

I guess the Monte is geared for the longer runs.

The music seemed louder/clearer on the low end, but as RPMs and speed increased the music died out a bit.

Anyway, the important thing is you had a blast :grin:
Yeah, I left the 2.75 gears in the car that I used for the mile so I could get a direct comparison of the two engines with no other changes. The 3.25 trac-loc would have been much better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Any engine bay pics Carl?

Cheers, Bob

ps- Do you think with those hood scoops, if you made a air filter behind the scoops with it going directly to the carb would it work/be a good idea?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Any engine bay pics Carl?

Cheers, Bob

ps- Do you think with those hood scoops, if you made a air filter behind the scoops with it going directly to the carb would it work/be a good idea?
The air cleaner sits right there behind the opening. There was a "ram air" factory option, but they're extremely rare, and extremely expensive. I don't know that it would be worth much power to seal it off anyhow. I really need to get some insulation on that fuel line though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Carl,don't damage that air filter!! It looks like R2C might be out of business. Weren't that easy to deal with when they were in business. Great filters,though.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Sometimes you find things you're not looking for. New slotted rotors and high temp pads on the way. Thinking a parachute might be in order too.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
It doesn't look like it cracked at the drilled holes, could be casting issue.
It's definitely a heat issue. These are factory rotors, machined down as far as they'll go, and I've abused the hell out of them hauling it down from 150 mph to make the runway turnoff, and getting them hot at road course track day events.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts