460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for pics of a Fox Body (79-93) with a Boss 429 installed in the factory engine compartment with factory frame rails. (not a hacked up race car engine compartment)

I am most curious how close the valve covers come to the master cylinder. (manual brakes of course....power brakes seem to be out of the question)

Now that the new Kasse Boss heads are coming out, I want to see if I can build my Turbo Coupe w/ a Boss 9 and clear the MC area.

D

·
0 Posts
I remember seeing a boss 9 in a fairmont about 15-20 years ago. Artical in a ford Magizine.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Mopar master cyl. with the left side fittings. I know I will have to lower the k-frame 1 1/2 inches from stock and hope the air cleaner will clear my stock Turbo Coupe hood.

Does anyone have any Boss 429 intake manifold measurements?

I need the distance from where the intake touches the front of the block and where the carb touches the intake. That will tell me if the air cleaner will clear.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: I think

cletus66 said:
I think that was a SOHC. I saw the car at Carlisle years ago.
No, I specificly remember a Boss 429 Fairmont in the late 80's or early 90's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
K-member

I can't help you with your issue, but I was wondering how you will be moving your k-member down 1 1/2"? Also you can use a 1983 Ranger master cylinder, it has the fittings on the left as well.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
dfree383 and cletus66 i think you're both right i remember one with a Boss 429 and the other with a S.O.H.C 427.I think the guys were good friends that had the cars IIRC.Later Mark.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: K-member

3MTA3 said:
I can't help you with your issue, but I was wondering how you will be moving your k-member down 1 1/2"? Also you can use a 1983 Ranger master cylinder, it has the fittings on the left as well.
You put spacers between the frame rails and k-member. Gives you lots of room to play with. I use 1/2" spacers on my fox body and it works great with the cowl hood.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
IVE HAD A STOCK FRONT K MENBER IN MY BOSS 429 POWERD FOX FOR YEARS, PM ME YOUR NUMBER, I HAVE A SET OF HEADERS,AND A OIL PAN FOR A BOSS IN A FOX FOR SALE,AND BUYER GETS ALL THE INFO TO GO WITH, TO MAKE IT ALL HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICH

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the sn95 mustang with boss in it that was on the old forum
I had sheet metal valve covers on it thay are taller then the stock ones
but i had to notch the drivers side tower to be able to remove the covers
there was no way the master cylinder would fit in the stock place i moved
it under the dash.i will try to find some old pics.i sold the car 4 years

·
Registered
490 Posts
Both cars were owned by friends of mine and they built them in Whyte's shop back in the 80's. I hung around Whyte's shop a lot. Whyte owned the black Boss 429 and John Cardamone owned the red one with the SOHC. The are now both owned by Paul Hillier and are still in the Phila. suburbs. The black car is now a race car. They did not move the master cylinder on either car. Just notched the shock towers to make it easier to remove the valve covers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Mach, does "whyte" have a royal blue 66 or 67 fairlane now with a really built up 427? Stroked to like 470 cubic inches or so. and putting out something like 700 horse and a 5 speed?
7DMACH1 said:
Both cars were owned by friends of mine and they built them in Whyte's shop back in the 80's. I hung around Whyte's shop a lot. Whyte owned the black Boss 429 and John Cardamone owned the red one with the SOHC. The are now both owned by Paul Hillier and are still in the Phila. suburbs. The black car is now a race car. They did not move the master cylinder on either car. Just notched the shock towers to make it easier to remove the valve covers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
damn thats pretty cool, he was telling me last year at ford nationals at carlisle about it. I saw him there again this year. Pretty cool guy. Where in philly is his shop.

·
Registered
508 Posts
my old man and me saw that thing and were like :shock: at how nice it looked and that it actually had a 427. Imo it was the nicest car at the fairlane club last year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts