460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTB: '78-'79 460 Super/Extra Cooling radiator side brackets. I have one of these rads,but it's of earlier vintage, and the side mounting brackets are not correct for my rad support.

·
Registered
110 Posts
brackets

I have a rad support for a 77 with extra cooling if interested. Just needs a little paint. The braket for the extra cooling were welded to the rad support on all years and models. The bolts you see are for the condenser. If you wold like I can drill spot welds out and send the brackets or can send the rad support. Also 78 and 79 rad supports are different, because they do not have the holes for the head light bracket bolts drilled into them, because on the 77 the lights mount lower.
Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin...thanks for the reply. My '77 came with a 400 engine and I'm upgrading to a 460. My current rad support does not have the extra "stand-off brackets" that my 460 rad requires. Are you saying that a '78/'79 extra cooling rad will not bolt directly to my '77 rad support? Can I not just change the older rad brackets out for the newer '78/'79 rad brackets and then bolt the rad directly to the current rad support?

·
Registered
110 Posts
brackets

The brackets that hold the rad in are welded to the support, they are not bolted to the support. You can use a 78 79 extra cooling rad support if you want to drill the holes for the bolts for you 77 headlight buckets to go in. other than that 78 79s will fit just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, some confusion here. My current '77 rad support is completely flat all the way across...no extra welded-in 90* stand-off brackets that my early '73/'77 460 rad needs to be mounted,with it's currently-installed side brackets. Can I remove the '73/'77 style brackets from the rad and install '78/'79 style brackets on the rad, and then bolt the rad directly to my currently-installed flat rad support?

Here are some pics of '79 rad brackets,73-77 rad brackets and my '77 rad support....too big to post here.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e285/65val/Ford 460 Rad/

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
brackets

Ok What you need is an extra cooling rad support to make that big rad work. The only thing you can with that rad support that is in the truck now is install the none extra cooling rad.Give me a call Sunday anytime and I will go over it with you, and send some pictures. Thanks Kevin 785-844-1475

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin...I dont want to change the rad support in the truck. Its in great shape,and it's a big hassle. I would rather change the radiator's side brackets to fit the rad support. Altering the rad is much simpler. In the pics I took, it looks as though the '78/'79 brackets will bolt up to the '77 400-style rad support. Do you know if that can be done?

·
Registered
110 Posts
brackets

The 78/79 brakets on the stock rad will bolt up to the 77 support, you just have to figure out how to put them on the extra cooling rad. Maybe you could fab up some brakets.
Kevin

·
Registered
562 Posts
77 and earlier Core supports came in two versions one version the radiator bolted directly to the core support
the other appears to be using stand off brackets but these are infact part of the support

78-79 went with one style the one that bolts direct to the support

doesn't matter on the extra cooling radiator or not there is a version for either support

the only different support was the 6cyl/302 and 351 no A/C and it was basicly the same but with a smaller radiator hole which can be cut out for the larger radiator and use stock mount holes

you just have the wrong radiator for you support as stated you can buy the correct extra cool or super cool radiator for either style support

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trent...thanks for the info. I have a line on a set of '78/'79 radiator brackets, but if they don't work out, I will contact you.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts