460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's an odd request, but when I spent some time in southern Georgia a few months ago I was walking through the grocery store and came across a display of canned boiled peanuts. $1 per can. Having never heard of such a thing, I decided to buy some. The first few were weird, but about half way through the first can, I found myself really enjoying them. Now that I'm back in Colorado, I can't find them anywhere.

Any of you guys in the south have access to these little delicacies at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
334 Posts
nuts

i can buy raw nuts to send you for about 1.49 to 1.89 a pound. :wink: All you do then is put in big pot add some salt and boil for about 30 minutes. :!: I'm in South Carolina and we do this all the time. :p the can nuts aren't really that good. :( Some times you can get some from Ga. that are REAL BIG and they are GOOOOOD. :lol: Just let me know and I'll be glad to try an help.--Fastfrog :idea: :D803-528-8633

·
Registered
74 Posts
my son and I enjoy them all the time from a gent that has a boiler setup at the corner store. Very adictive to sit for an hour and shell them.
I can understand why you would want some.... :lol:

·
Registered
722 Posts
:D I just had my outlaw's bring 4 cases back from Georgia for me, If you don't have any luck I can send you a case. I tryed them 7 years ago while on vay in florida and have been lucky enough to know someone who's going down bring me back some. It's funny how many people here in michigan have never heard of them. I understand your Addiction!

·
Registered
816 Posts
CarsByCarl said:
I know it's an odd request, but when I spent some time in southern Georgia a few months ago I was walking through the grocery store and came across a display of canned boiled peanuts. $1 per can. Having never heard of such a thing, I decided to buy some. The first few were weird, but about half way through the first can, I found myself really enjoying them. Now that I'm back in Colorado, I can't find them anywhere.

Any of you guys in the south have access to these little delicacies at a reasonable price?
LOL! What part of south Ga was it? If you get ahold of some fresh boiled peanuts you'll throw the canned ones down :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
definitely addictive! As mentioned above they are quite easy to make yourself, but I like mine a bit softer. It seems like the longer they sit in hot water they better they get.

I take the raw peanuts and soak them overnight in a tub of water. The next day I throw them in a crock pot and simmer with salted water for 1-2 days. Try it and keep tasting them every couple hours into to it unitl you get the texture you like. Just remember to add a bit more salt as you replace the evaporated water. As a starting point I use a 1/4 cup of salt to one bag of raw peanuts (you can always add more salt to taste, but you cannot take it back out if you add too much)!

-Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
boiled peanuts

find your peanuts yet , i live in VA. and they are in just about grocery store, one store has them in gallon size cans. you can make them yourself, but if you want them to be like the ones in the can, you have to get the peanuts as soon as they are turned up out of the ground and still on the roots, thats why they call them boiled green peanuts, i make them all the time, and you can only make them once a year. if you still want some contact me and for the cost of the nuts , shipping, and a small running fee ill get them to you. johnny

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: boiled peanuts

johnboyhick1 said:
find your peanuts yet , i live in VA. and they are in just about grocery store, one store has them in gallon size cans. you can make them yourself, but if you want them to be like the ones in the can, you have to get the peanuts as soon as they are turned up out of the ground and still on the roots, thats why they call them boiled green peanuts, i make them all the time, and you can only make them once a year. if you still want some contact me and for the cost of the nuts , shipping, and a small running fee ill get them to you. johnny
Haven't gotten any yet....PM sent!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Can't one of you guys just ship Carl some? I'm sure he would paypal ya.

Carl, I would have done it for you but I'm in your old state (MI) and I never heard of them cooked that way...Sorry

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gentlemen,

For those of you attending the BASH...
MY beautiful wife has said, IF there is enough interest, She would hook ya'll up and boil peanuts at the BASH. Can you say FRESH ??!!

Let me know if you're interested via PM

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts