460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask the guys on 460 if they know if super 7 locks from various brands fit any make super 7 retainer. Ask if anyone has some that will work on Del West retainers.they will turn loose. Square groove, 11/32, standard, or+.50

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Ask the guys on 460 if they know if super 7 locks from various brands fit any make super 7 retainer. Ask if anyone has some that will work on Del West retainers.they will turn loose. Square groove, 11/32, standard, or+.50
Yes, all Super 7's locks are the same and will work with any Super 7 applicable retainer. The Super 7 retainer is nothing more than your typical 7-degree retainer for a 3/8 stem valve; the Super 7 lock was designed to fit this retainer and hold an 11/32 stem valve.

The Super 7 history goes like this: BBC's came stock with 3/8" diameter stem valves. When you buy an aftermarket aluminun BBC head, it will typically be fit with 11/32" valve stems. (<---BTW, there goes chebby copying Ford again!) An inexpensive way for the cylinder head manufacturers to set up those aftermarket heads was to keep the 7-degree retainers that were designed for the 3/8" valve stem and use them with an 11/32" diameter stem valve stem though the use of a thicker 7-degree lock....hence, the Super 7 locks!

This came to be because CompCams held the patent for the 10-degree retainer/lock system, and so during that time everyone else tried to hold their own by offering Super 7's as their alternative to a standard (thinner) 7-degree lock/retainer system.

A Super 7 is considered to be better than the standard 7 because it is thicker (read: stronger) than the standard 7-degree, but it is not considered to be as good as a 10-degree because the 10-degree is thicker and has the more agressive angle for grabbing the valve stem.

That'll be twenty bucks, :rolleyes:

Paul

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That's alot of info for $20 !!! Pay the man Andy:D:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
CHROME MOLY 7° STEEL RETAINERS

by chance are these what you looking for

erson part #E961101 16 stem size 3/8" outside diameter 1.437" CHROME MOLY 7° STEEL RETAINERS

·
Registered
110 Posts
For your information 2slow. I made a post from my cell phone which is the only internet .I have most of the time and apparently all of the information didn't post.Which is also happened in a couple of p.m. i have sent out.

13030T-super 7mm/.2740 .050"
Locs $69

This is the rest of the other post to show the difference between 7 degree standard locks and super 7 locks. So, I do know the difference it's just my phone didn't send the all the information out .

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
For your information 2slow. I made a post from my cell phone which is the only internet .I have most of the time and apparently all of the information didn't post.Which is also happened in a couple of p.m. i have sent out.

13030T-super 7mm/.2740 .050"
Locs $69

This is the rest of the other post to show the difference between 7 degree standard locks and super 7 locks. So, I do know the difference it's just my phone didn't send the all the information out .
sorry didn't think you did , listing parts that weren't ask for. Do have to ask... know what an 11/32 stem is ? 11/32 = .342 ".... not 7mm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts