460 Ford Forum banner

WTF! Gas Prices....again!?

3K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  BB68coupe 
#1 ·
Well it looks like the powers that be have done it again, and just before I leave for Owensboro. Big oil comes up with every excuse under the sun for why prices have gone up again. The one they seem to be leaving out is GREED!

#3 ·
The Communist news network ( cnn)
said Mn. was one of the cheapest gas prices in the country by morning we were 30 to 35cents higher. Commie news SHUT UP! Oh and the State of MN. is willing to give us an another 10 cents on top of that because the 90 cents were paying is just not enough! We have all these POOR people to support how stupid of me to forget! WE are now up to 58% total tax rate and Dam proud to say we can save the world, just send them here!!!!! I think I just had an aneurysm!!AHHHHH

#7 ·
It seems to me that gas price fluctuations were more local when I was younger. I can remember going on long trips thru several states and the prices being different everywhere. I went on a trip just recently and I think I went thru 3 different states ad the gas prices didn't vary more that .03.

Maybe I'm just paying more attention to it now.

#8 ·
8liter: I agree, it seems that the gas is pretty much the same everywhere now, I have noticed that Dallas, Austin and San Antonio are usually higher the farther south you go, but then when you get down to the Rio Grande Valley, its cheaper again??? But still not more than .10-.20 difference usually. I have made that trip back and forth several times and it is always consistent.

Geo Metros, Chevrolet Sprints and Suzuki swifts/SA310s were pretty much ahead of their time with 50MPG possible HWY, so I began looking around yesterday and WOW was I surprised. I would expect a little Piece of crap car like that would be worth nothing unless in absolute excellent, low mileage condition. WRONG, apparently I am not the only one who has been looking into the ol'3cyl Metro style car that gets 45+MPG. For example, a clean mid 90's Metro with 132,000miles is for sale on ebay, had 6 days of bidding to go, already 13 bidders and up to +$2600! The "BUY IT NOW" option was $3600! We are talking about a car that cost no more than $8-9k new and is ~12 years old with over 100k miles on a small engine!?

#9 ·
It's not like I drive much these days, but if this keeps up, I may have to start brewing my own E85 and convert all my vehicles. Brewing my own beer is fun, why not fuel?

#11 ·
Well I live in OIL COUNTRY up here in northern Alberta.Price of our fuel 1.03/L and diesel is .99/L Believe me there is no shortage. Don't know about you States people but almost half our cost of fuel goes straight to the goverment. Rumor has it ,it's gonna go up too 1.60/L by the end of summer. WTF is right.
My father once had the idea of boycotting certain fuel stations all at the same time. Would be hard to do but it is possible,if you live in a city where there are hundreds to choose from.

#12 ·
richter69 said:
yep, jumped up a dime here overnight. Glad the wife and I only have a 2 mile commute to work.
Jon,
I've got you beat on the commute to work by just a little, I only have 1.2 miles from my driveway to inside my building at work, and since I ride a bike to work I get to ride it thru the gaurd gates and right up to my locker in my building where I work. Now if the wife would let me spend the money I save on gas by riding the bike on the race car, I could have it running sooner and possibly faster too!!!

#13 ·
It's insane everywhere you go almost. It seems like it went up $0.40 a gallon over the span of a week or so. Just cost me $56 to fill up my little V6 Nissan Maxima- thank god it gets 28mpg, and it's even a little spunky at that.

I was gonna start driving the Bronco when I got it road worthy in a month or so, even though it has a 466 and I have to run it on AV gas, but I don't think I can even afford to drive it once a week if this keeps up...

Last week, AV gas was actually less than $1 more than 93 at the pump-unreal :roll:

#17 ·
We all conserve with the hopes that we will get cheap gas. Guess what who do you think will get the cheap gas think, think------CHINA they will surpass us in three years in consumption and they are friends with our enemy's= cheap gas-- KILL THEM ALL,, just kidding--it's a joke-- do not take seriously.

#18 ·
I found an interesting site about making alcohol fuel. For like 40 bucks you can get the plans for the still and it gives you a link to get a permit to make it from the government.

I have really thought about doing it. From what I have read the only thing that would need to be done is change the jets size possibly.

Here is the link....

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id36.html

#20 ·
not like they are losing money..exon/mobil had a first 1/4 profit of over 8 billion this year,, not bad for 3 months,, so what is the real reason for the high price of fuel..flat out GREED. there is no way your going to stop buying fuel so they have us by the balls..

#21 ·
But we can...

460stang79 said:
not like they are losing money..exon/mobil had a first 1/4 profit of over 8 billion this year,, not bad for 3 months,, so what is the real reason for the high price of fuel..flat out GREED. there is no way your going to stop buying fuel so they have us by the balls..
We can stop buying all those little extras at their mini marts. Bottled water, soft drinks, beer, snacks and such. They are gonna make the money off of the gas, don't give them the other business they expect because it is there for convenience. Go inside and pay for your gas, make them work for it. Pay cash, buy an odd amount and let them make 73 cents worth of change. Get a receipt. When they ask if there will be anything else... tell them not until the price of gas goes down...you spent too much money on fuel. It gets a much better reaction when there is a line of people. I have seen people in line behind me put stuff back when they hear someone speak out. We are not going to make them go out of business, and its not the guy's fault behind the counter, but I believe in casting my economic vote when I can... and it's not by quietly swiping my card at the pump.

Tom

#23 ·
#25 ·
I believe the future is ethanol and alcohol. Brazil switched over in 5 years and have pretty much told the oil countries "see ya later".

Higher compression ratios and higher psi, here we come! :D

#26 ·
Danny Cabral said:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/gas-price.htm
Nowhere in that article did they mention greed, sounds like excuse that an oil company would promote.

It's speculation that drives up the cost of gas, independent of crude oil. Just like speculation drove up the cost of crude last year independent of gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.