460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It doesn't look like a bad deal. May not be optimized like Dr Gas, or could be a direct copy. Is better than an H-pipe for sure. I like how an X-pipe tones-down some of the heavy pulsations which make a healthy big block hard to muffle... Makes it more stealthy in a street car in my opinion. Also helps to not set off all the car alarms in a parking lot as you idle through. :lol:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BBBob_M said:
Makes it more stealthy in a street car in my opinion. Also helps to not set off all the car alarms in a parking lot as you idle through. :lol:
I agree with this statement 100%!!! I moved my motor from my Bronco to a Mustang-- same motor and mufflers. The exhaust on the Mustang is a lot more mellow. Disappointed with the exhaust note, I took them off and sold them to my girlfriends father. I installed them on his stock 454 cid dually.

His truck sounded more aggressive than my car did!!! I couldn't believe it. I now have Spintech's on it. More aggressive, but still surprisingly mellow!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case, mellow = good.

I work next door to a police station.. go figure.

They just wave when I go by in my Cavalier, with 2.25" single on a high flow cat with a straight through magnaflow on a v6.. but even THAT is loud. I don't want to push it, lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A stroker really adds to the volume, what is ok on a 460 will be thunderous on a 500+.. Mine was like night and day.. Same headers and exhaust on both. Even at idle it's got good volume, and at RPM... Godzilla would hold his ears. Just the way I like it. I'd actually kind of like to hear it with the same exhaust as I had on the car when I first put the 460 in (headers, 2 ch flowmasters, no crossover, exiting b4 the rear wheels)

:)

Jim

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I bought one of the 3 inch SUmmit "X" pipe kits, the pies ARE mandrel bent. For the money I think its worth it. The guy that did the exhaust on my car couldnt 2 pieces of the kit, Had to try and get it up under the car more so he did that after the x and bent 2 peices a little differently than what the kit had. I love how it sounds. I definantly sounds different than other big block cars ive heard and ive got the small cam in now. Cant wait to get the big cam in.

It is well worth the money IMO.

Brad

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I bought the following.
Done.

Jegs 3" X pipe

flowmaster reducers 3" to 2.5"

3" header collector/reducer, already welded

2.5" Flowmaster U fit Kit

I have the parts of the U fit kit sold that I won't be using, I think.

So with the long tube Hooker headers.. how far away should the X pipe be? I'm afraid if it's too far back, the driveshaft will hit it.

I've heard from others with other headers.. what about these?

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
psquare75 said:
Well, I bought the following.
Done.

Jegs 3" X pipe

flowmaster reducers 3" to 2.5"

3" header collector/reducer, already welded

2.5" Flowmaster U fit Kit

I have the parts of the U fit kit sold that I won't be using, I think.

So with the long tube Hooker headers.. how far away should the X pipe be? I'm afraid if it's too far back, the driveshaft will hit it.

I've heard from others with other headers.. what about these?
One my 429 spoiler I used the 3.5" flange off of the collector. Then installed the 3.5" to 3" flow master tapered reducer. The X is immidiately after that with a short piece of 3" pipe before the mufflers. The tail pipes go just over the axle and dump behind the back wheels ala' chevy II.

I picked up over twenty RWHP over the 2.5" crush bend system I had previously. I am going to get rid of the damned flow masters and install walker dynomax ultras soom for even less restriction.

I am putting 395 HP to the ground with a 10 to 1 429, rpm unported heads, rpm intake, 6115 hookers and an 850 dp. The old girl has over 140K miles on her.

8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts