460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 f250 that a previous owner put a 460 in. Not sure what year 460, but a starter from a '70 lincoln is the one that fit. (The local advanced auto has an old guy who used to be a dealer parts manager. He plugged in cars with 460s till we found a starter to match.) I need to replace the exhaust, do any of you guys know if the y-pipe from a late 70s F-series that came with a 460 will work in the 69? Can't easily run duals because the fuel tank under the bed on the drivers side pretty much fills the space between the frame and drive shaft.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a '69 f250 that a previous owner put a 460 in. Not sure what year 460, but a starter from a '70 lincoln is the one that fit. (The local advanced auto has an old guy who used to be a dealer parts manager. He plugged in cars with 460s till we found a starter to match.) I need to replace the exhaust, do any of you guys know if the y-pipe from a late 70s F-series that came with a 460 will work in the 69? Can't easily run duals because the fuel tank under the bed on the drivers side pretty much fills the space between the frame and drive shaft.
I'm unsure about the answer to your question, but it seems like it should work. Not all had y-pipes. My 1976 F-250 with a 460 has two 2-1/2" exhaust pipes going into one muffler on the passenger side. Some from the later 70s had catalytic converters; they generally used y-pipes. There were at least two types of connection at the manifold. Some used a "doughnut"; some didn't. Mine also has the auxiliary fuel tank on the driver's side which blocks the possibility of traditional dual exhaust. If you can locate someone who is knowledgeable about old F series or E series (vans) exhaust, he may be able to assist, as with the starter. Some exhaust shops can custom bend pipes to fit your needs. I once had some stainless tail pipes custom bent for a sedan @ $100 each.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably best off hitting your local exhaust shop and having one made.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks guys.
I used a 97 in a 77 chassis, the right side where it goes to manifold had to be dented to clear upper flat of frame. The Down\tail pipe of the Y I bent up and in I think not much. I used a torch to heat where mods made go little at a time and test fit over and over. Your earlier chassis may or may not be same width as 77. Keep in mind I used 97 truck manifolds also. Lincoln might be passenger car outlet position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts