460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya’ll ain’t gonna believe this. I was off most of the week of thanksgiving. I spent a lot of time working on a buddies motor and getting my car ready to be put away for the winter. Early in the week I had pulled the plugs out of my motor and was going to check all the valvesprings just to be sure everything was OK. I got sidetracked and decided to wait till Saturday to finish up my car. So Saturday comes around and I’m out there in the afternoon checking valvesprings, I’m about finished, and as I’m bumping the motor over to get the valves closed on #4 I hear a whistle as the piston is coming up on the compression stroke and felt something hit my hand. I looked on the ground and there is a powder on the ground under the car. I’m like WTH is that! I shine a light into the spark plug hole, and it’s full of something and I can’t figure out what it is. I took an air nozzle, stuck it into the plug hole and blew a bunch of this powder out of the cylinder. I am baffled as to what it is and how it got into my engine! I swept it up and looked really close…………………………………………………. And I figured out it was rat poison that I had set out earlier in the week. The damn rat was planning on using my engine as a winter home! Of all the places in a shop to hide, I never would have thought a rat would have done that. The car was 18” high on jackstands.

Anyway I took pics because I knew nobody would believe this!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yep, one of the guys I work with has a race car that he spent a weekend last winter cleaning out acorns, damn squirrels.:D So yeah I believe.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Sounds like you and I are in the same club. My two buddies are right there with me when I get up in the morning.

Murphy and Trouble!!:D

Clay

·
Registered
194 Posts
Similar incident;Had a bare block on a stand in the garage for a couple months,when I went to load it in the truck a bunch of corn fell out.Seems they got into my deer feed and decided the engine was a good place to store it.
Still don't know how they got traction on the stand to get it there,but I got probably a 1/2 dozen ears worth out of it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Heres a big nest I found when I opened my motor, of course it sat a lot longer than yours.

I once had a z28 that sat over the winter, in the spring it wouldnt start, found mice (I suspect) ate through the injecter harness, found plenty of nut shells too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That reminds me of my open trailer. It sits for very long periods of time. One time I went to use it and the brakes were coming on and off with the turn signal. I found that they had run the wires down the inside of the frame rails when they made the trailer and the mice got in there and ate the top half of the insulation off all the wires.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I got one , my operations maneger's car wouldn't accelerate verry well,so he decided to change his air filter, in a toyota and upon changing the filter we discovered,a hole sh*t load of dog food in his air filter housing,asking himself how the hell it got there,figuring out that his garadge is where he keep's the dogs food ,and the squrel's must have been storing it there for the winter!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Similar incident;Had a bare block on a stand in the garage for a couple months,when I went to load it in the truck a bunch of corn fell out.Seems they got into my deer feed and decided the engine was a good place to store it.
Still don't know how they got traction on the stand to get it there,but I got probably a 1/2 dozen ears worth out of it.
I was working on my combine in the fall and had the header about 30" off the ground. There was a mouse jumping up trying to get on the header. After several tries he made it. I never thought a mouse could jump near that far.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You need a cat my friend. There are some strays around my shop. Back after Katrina hit there were no stray cats (probably drowned) anyway, I use to get calls at 12-4 in the am from alarm company. Would meet police found nothing, everyone go home back to bed. Customers car was in the shop from Mississippi that had running problems. Found out a rat ate through the harness. He ate parts of the interior, lower my mustang from a lift where it resides one day and found a quart of Castrol 10-40 that he ate the entire cap and neck off right down to the oil line. NO LIE! This rat ate only plastic interior in the shop out of a couple cars. Well, we see a stray, started feeding it outside, then 5 strays. We feed them with a bag of food ont he ground, one big dump every 2-3 weeks. Just enough to keep them around but not enough for them not to hunt. Ain`t been called out since.
The rat would use the lift hydraulic hoses and perlings to navigate the shop and enter cars to feed. Motion detectors would detect. I would lose sleep. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the header off yesterday and saw that he was going up the header and past the open exhaust valve. I had already blacked off all the open valves, and tried to seal up what I could.

There are a couple of stray cats that hang around and like climbing around on my boat. Apparently they aren't doing too good of a job hunting. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts