460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession: I'm having this problem in a Ford 1.6 liter engine, not a 460, but this is a general question that could easily apply to a 460 so please don't throw it out.

For years, I've been seeing a yellow pudding-like gunk in the engine oil that accumulates in the dipstick tube and in a rubber hose I put onto the valve cover vent opening which carries the valve cover fumes outside from the engine. This replace an original hose that used to carry valve cover fumes back into the air cleaner air intake.

When I drain the oil out of the oil pan, I never see this stuff.

I can guess that it is from cooling system water/antifreeze somehow getting into the oil, but I am only guessing.

I've Zyglo tested the cylinder head, the top of the engine block, and even the inside of the combustion cylinders plus I had an engine shop pressure test the cylinder head and the intake manifold and surface grind the head to ensure it was straight. I found a bad gasket on the intake manifold that was letting water get into the combustion chambers and fixed that. So, if it is water getting into the oil, I think the only place left where it could be getting in would be a crack in the block at the bottom of the block's water jacket-do you agree?

Can anyone here please confirm the yellow gunk is most likely water/antifreeze getting into the oil or else give me some ideas of what else might be causing this?

Thanks,
Audioresearch

·
Registered
631 Posts
HI yes that's water/coolant in the motor..It might not be enough to make the oil milky . the ethanol fuel has water in it.. Just saying..
good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you do a lot of short trips and it doesn't get fully up to temp, it's probably just condensation, especially true in the winter months up north. The FE in my F100 gets an accumulation of it in the valve cover breathers because I drive it to work and back nearly every day and it's only 3 miles each way...Could also be parrafin if you're using oils based on the stuff. I know when we would pull the valve covers off something that had been running Pennzoil back in the day, there would be a white waxy substance (parrafin) left behind most the time.

·
Administrator
5,094 Posts
It's water that turned to steam when the engine was warming up. As the steam gets pushed up and out these small passages that also happen to contain oil particles the steam condenses on the oil particles. They get mixed around a bit with all of the vibration and you get what you are finding. I bet the car runs just fine. It's normal. Keep going.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
430 Posts
Agreed, besides taking it on trips more often, changing oil more often, only other thing you could possibly do is make sure you keep the PVC system cleaned out and functional.. this may help in keeping down in some of the condensation you're seeing in the top of the crankcase.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
430 Posts
Whaaaaat???? This is the time to add a second 4 barrel carb to your big block!! Low riser or a tunnel ram for that daily commute and let it eat!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts