460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
............or 429?

So when and what was it? What made you get it?

Just wanted to start a fun thread that doesnt deal with political crap, bad moods, blah blah blah..............

I have owned this 69 must I have since 87, started life as a 2v 302, C4 "Grande package". around 89 I put a decent 289 in it that would run high 13's. Well the quest for more power and a buddy that had a decent fast square tube 69 fb chassis car had a buch od 460 parts lying around.

Stock block, crank, rods, cast pistons, some terribly ported dove c heads, stock valves, chevy valvesprings, a very used comp 305H cam, used lifters, cast iron 4bl intake with a little work, 850 holley dp, a pos GER 8" converter, c6 with a transgo kit, slapper bars, 9" with 4.30 gears, used up 28 x 10.5 slicks.

This was good for 12.30's , had a whole 300 bucks in the motor, lasted 2 seasons before the head pulled off of a stock valve and destroyed it all. Pretty much went downhill from there..............:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
my first one was in 2000 it was a 460 30 over with dove heads and a 292 comp cams. It was going in a 86 t bird but my brother traded me out of it and put it in a 77 F-250 4x4 with 36s

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My 1st 460 was in my 72 Lincoln MK IV....bought it in 1976. Engines were not real plentiful until the late 70s/early 80s when prices came down to this poorboy's meager budget. Built my first 385 [429] for my Howard flat, was a mule engine I threw together to see if I wanted to keep the boat. I liked the boat so a 460 was built trying various head, cam, carb combos. Later a 514 was built for the Howard. In the meantime I bought a Hondo flat and ran a 427 sideoiler in that boat for a couple of years in the mid to late 80s. Didn't want to hammer a expensive and rare engine in a boat so that engine came out and I built a 460 twin turbo blow thru deal for that boat, a few t/t combos and a couple of burnt down engines I built a 460 draw-thru T/T-intercooled with some good parts, Moldex crank, Crower rods, JE pistons in a D1 block that was 4 bolted using Pro-Grams splayed steel caps. Built that engine in early 1996 and its still together and running good to this day. That engine has never had to come out of the boat even after 13 years....knock on wood.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
'Twas around '84, met VAN and discovered we both liked FORDs. He had run a 460 pipe rack before so we started with 460's. We grerw'em, blew'em , tried squeez, blowers, gas, alky, and nitro. We had the first Arias solid block, first set of Billy's hemi heads(which I still have), some of the first FORD forged crank blanks($400.00 each back then). We had good luck, bad luck, and everything inbetween. The stories we both could tell....Paul knows SOME of them.:D

·
8,522 Posts
I had a nice 460 and the goverment took it a way from me and then ...I'd shot them but my guns were in the truck of my '74 Torino . I would have made bail...but ... the credit card people f'd me .............and the beat goes on ;-}

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Feb. 2009 for me and alot of reading from here started helping a buddy with his 557 rx7 and got the fever after going back to the track with him and his car hard standing on the side lines watching wanting to get out there on the track .had another buddy with a rebuilt 460 short block with about 25 miles on it bought it and a c6 tran for $300 and now almost finish with motor now time to find something to put it in [ I LIED mine was a mercury marauda x100 i forgot about it until dave mclain post about the old funny lookin cars and i seen the marauda x100]

·
Registered
555 Posts
my first was a 429 also, matter of fact I still have it. I pulled it from a 73' grand marquis in 1995 to replace the original 302 that floated the valves and destroyed the block. I also blew the 429 up the same way, but the exhaust valve went straight through the top of the piston with no damage to the cylinder or block for that matter. AFter I learned the 460 was identical I bought a reman. crank and rods, some hyperpathetic pistons and I had myself a new 460!

·
Registered
86 Posts
1982 bought a 1979 f-250 snowfighter.... came with 351m/c6 etc. 1991 dropped a 1978 lincoln 460 into it. fiddled around for awhile then in 2005 decided to put a 6bt cummins into the truck and bought a 91 mustang for the 460. car and engine are both in progress.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Myne was in 2000 on the farm we have all f 250's with 360 or 390 with 4 sp and found a 1970 t- bird with a 429 (DOVE) thunder jet .and punched it.30 over with a 494 lift comp cam and put in my truck that i use now for pullin best move i made now i want to build a bigger one LOL..my bro is still a big FE man :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's all the wife's fault.....

I started dating my wife the first of 98, that summer I started going to the truck pulls with her and her family. Her dad has a 87 Ford 466 dove head street class truck. She talked him into letting me drive after one of the pulls were over and the next year he let me pull one class, while she pulled the other.

In 00 we built my brother a truck starting with a all iron c8 429.

In 02 I built my truck with an a429 headed 472 that spit a rod out at 7500 on the 11th pass.:eek: That is an expensive learning experience.

Built another one and still having a blast

BTW Great thread......

Now if the weather hold out I can get the first hook on the new truck Sat.

IF I LOSE THIS POST ONE MORE TIME I'M GONNA THROW THIS KEYBOARD OUT THE WINDOW.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I think it was around 1988. I rebuilt the 460 out of a 1974 Thunderbird. Then I lucked on a 78 Fairmont roller. It had had a couple of SBC in for sh*t sakes!! I turned it back to Ford power.

1st of three BBF four eyes!!
78 Fairmont
85 Mustang
83 Thunderbird - current

Bill

·
Registered
261 Posts
My current 460 is my first

I was looking for something to repower my 78 transit was going to go a clevo but ended up with a 460

the engine is a stocker as it sits but im slowly gathering parts and info to build a p-51 headed 501ci

·
Registered
41 Posts
I rode alot of miles with my dad in a 74 lincoln mark something.................although i was only 11 years old i knew something that would run.............would run all day at 90 and a 100 and it was smooth as silk. Got my first one in 2004 and put it in a comet 7.44 in the eighth...............presently have a 66 fairlane with a 460............best so far ....6.79 in the eighth

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was 18 and I bought a 64 Fairlane with a stock 429 and 4 speed. My dad andI overhauled it, put in a .600 solid lift cam and some ported dove-c's. It was a lot of fun on the street.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The first one I dealt with was the one my Dad and I pulled out of a 78 Grand Marquis and put in my Mom's 75 LTD Brougham, complete with fender skirts and wire wheel hubcaps. The 351M in there was old and tired and my Dad got the Marquis for a song so we made the swap.

I drive it on weekends through high school and even street raced it. Talk about a sleeper. I had friends with warmed over rides and I could hold my own with that big land yacht. But, I had a buddy with a 73 Mustang with a 466 in it and it ran 11.60s first time out with ease. That's what really opened our eyes to the BBF. Unfortunately we never got to see the car's full potential. He needed cash and I passed on buying it. Too bad or else I'd have been hooked since high school!

Then my first street car had a warmed up 351W so I got into that deal for a while because I had the whole setup. When I bought the Mustang I have now I thought about swapping my whole 351W combo and going racing the next month. But I thought that'd be way too easy so I sold the SBF crap and converted to BBF.......

1 - 20 of 104 Posts