460 Ford Forum banner

your RPM limit comfort zone?

887 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  away 
#1 · (Edited)
My pickup is pretty wicked. Trick flow top end, keith black bottom end, roller cam/rockers/gear drive. Bla, Bla...its sitting about 550hp best guess. I have run it up to 7k a time or two, but really, it makes me nervous. Now other than this 460, I've only driven Olds 455 big blocks. So seriously, where are you guys inclined to feel confident to set your redline? I just swapped in an intellitronix box and was debating with myself where to set the rev limiter. I was thinking 6k to play it safe, but I know this thing pulls hard to 6500 and keeps pulling until I chicken out and let off. I have maybe 10k miles on it and its a rhino, never objecting to high RPM, so I've considered setting it at 7k, but just to hear what you all think: Where to you feel that the risk of mechanical failure really sets in?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well a stock BBF will live forever at 6200. Provided timing is correct no detonation etc. But I have found that Big blocks don't have to turn as high as you would think to get the best performance. Mainly bc they have significant amounts of torque to work with. I would put a rev limit of 6500 chip on that thing and shift at 6200-6400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.