460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
tire press

You can go up 1 pound at a time until the tires start to chatter or 60 foot goes away, then drop back 1-1.5 pounds and that should be real close to were you want to be. I have found it the past it sure helps on the big end with the drive and less tire wad with a better 60 foot. Stall converter, weight, tire size, rim to tire diff, side wall and many other factors make tire pressure unique to each racer. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's hard to see the left rear tire, but it looks better from what we can see, I agree more air pressure is needed. I have 7 1/2 in mine.
BUT, what I think is the main problem, is that you are sitting on the WRONG side of the car :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My LX 545 is around 3200# small tire 10" tread 8" rim Hoosiers slicks. Tried 8-9#s and got tire roll, so got the best bite todate with 11#s cold about 11.75#s after the run. Still working on get more bite.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the feedback, I knew I needed more but I didnt realize they were that out of shape.
the car is 3200 pound, rims are 15x14, c6. stall 5000.
Iam going to try 10 pound next time and work back from there, see what happened here is I have have listened to every man and hig about tyre pressure. When I should have done what I thought was right.
thanks team

·
Registered
91 Posts
This may not sound very scientific.......but the way I judged tire pressure when I installed 14" slicks the first time was to overinflate the tires, then let the air out till I had about 1 1/2" of the edge of the tread laying fairly flat against the pavement. It worked out to 9.5 lbs. As it turned out, it was a pretty good guess, hooks good and handles nice down track. I've used that method since on other rigs and it seems to work out ok for a starting point.

Clay

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
side wall needs to carry the load, might be to soft. air pressure i go by the pattern. see SS/A what type of class is that/rules?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It could be interesting to shoot both sides of your car on the same pass for a side-to-side slick comparison. This is
because usually (but not always) a lot of cars appear to wad-up the right/passenger side slick a little more than
the left/driver side (talking "US" driver placement) do to the anti-roll fighting any engine torque/body-roll.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Super Sedan is a dial your own bracket for sedans quicker than 10.99. It is the most popular bracket in Australian drag racing. SS/A for N/A V8s, SS/AA for power adders SS/B & SS/BB for 6 cylinders and rotarys and SS/C & SS/CC for four cylinders.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the pic. I think you need more air as well. My 67 mustang with 557 comes in at 3800 with me in the car. I run 11psi on it with a 5600 stall I rum the 1/4 and I want as much air in the tire as I can and still hook. It makes the stoping a lot nicer :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts