460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
RHP Budget ported small valve D3's, 219/227 voodoo cam make 450+ HP

I just recieved feedback from a client in Canada with a 70 torino C6 weighing in at near 4000 pounds with driver. Low 13's at 107 MPH with traction issues. This works out to over 450 hp at around 5,000 RPM.

I am posting this because I was surprised by the output given the simple straight forward engine build. We built this last year.

460 inches with trw domes at 0 deck.
RHP D3VE castings with small 2.08" / 1.65" valves, budget port work, 305 / 182 cfm @ .600" lift. 30 degree back cut on both intake and exhaust valves.
Factory bolt down rockers. Final static c/r is 10.3 to 1.
Voodoo 219/227 hydraulic cam ground on a 113 lsa in at 109 icl due to high static c/r.
RPM intake and holley 750 DP
Summit high volume fuel pump.
Hooker headers and duals with X pipe
Duraspark dizzy 14 initial and 38 total in at 3K with MSD 6 al ignition

I paid specific attention to good low and mid lift flow rates given the modest .540"/.552" valve lift.

There is nothing really special about this combination. It is easily duplicated. I really believe the key is just a well matched combination of parts working well together.

Thought I would post this here for reference Dave.

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
alright so to be honest even after reading this forum for hours, im not so sure what all the specs for a cam means, soo sinc ei have a 73 429 and was looking to put it in the 325-350hp i was wondering if anyone could send me a link or point me in the right directiona s to where i can buy this cam to put in my engine? (Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series
Intake Lobe 5430 and Exhaust Lobe 5232
(Specs:250/268 adv., 206/[email protected], .479/.493. lift, 110 LSA) this is the one reccommended for the 325-350 i just dont know how to look for one on like summitracing or a store like that. any help will be greatly appreciatedd

·
Registered
18 Posts
intakes?

Greats builds I was surprised to see only one weiand stealth intake in the list. I thought that it had a slight edge over the performer. I guess I'm wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
460 Ford with streetable tune up

I know t5his is a very old post, some of you will give some reminder. But I figure still a lot of guys out there that use this chart to build there motors. Back when I lived in Austin Tx. I built a standered bore 460. Rings and main and rod bearings. The engine was internally balanced. Went to the local machine shop, and the valve grinder or head repair man had a set of dove heads laying in the acid vatt. I ask him how much ands he said make an offer. We settled on $ 50.00 dollars.Back to the junk yard to pirout all the adjustable parts to convert the heads to fully adjustable rockers. Thanks to a set of scrap chevy 454 heads.Comp. roller tip rockers, a ssi cam and kit springs and so forth. 276 x 286 advertised lift with actual lift of 502 int. and exh. x 218 x 228 at .050 lift a 114 degree lobe centers. 3310-2 750 holley carb, edelbrock performer intake with two inch carb to intake spacer. headman 1 3/4" inch primary headers. Mild port work and removed the exhaust bump. Pocket ported the int and exh. I figured 420 to 440 hp with this mild combo. Compression was 9.3:1 after some head milling. The engine went into a 1971 F-100 regular bed truck with a built C-6 trans and stock 9" gears. 3.25 ratio. I out ran a vett with the truck. I only ever got beat and it was a Porch 911, it was very gradual took him almost a quarter mile before he pulled me in high gear. Moved to California had to sell it cause smog laws are inforced heavly. I still miss that truck, it weighed 3750 with me in it. ran a 13 flat @111 mph spinning badly, the track had just had a engine let go spilled oil all the way down the track. If it would have hooked up, who know high 12 second times?. Soo... I will build another one soon, Let you guys know how it comming a long once I get started.
Code:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Verify!

So, I was browsing ...............

Came across this thread, and found the various 385 Series build recommendations versus HP ratings. They seem to be reasonable, however while I'm laid up with a blown out back, I thought hmmm, has anyone proven out the posted scenarios, at least from a mathematical perspective? How were these combinations derived? Have they been validated?

Even though sitting and being on the laptop is still pretty uncomfortable, if I take my time, a little at a time, I thought it would be fun to run these scenarios through my dyno sim program, and see how things shake out.

Years ago, I did this on a friend's race engine that was run on a physical dyno, and it was amazing how close the actual pull was to the sim run (within 5 hp!). Let's face it, the engine is an air pump, and all this data can be calculated. The key is accurate input! So, no promises on how fast I can get them done, but I will give it a whirl and post what I find.

Stay tuned (pun intended)!:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I'm interested it taking my motor to the 375-400 hp "level" in regards to this list. I have a 73 block, d3ve heads, 0.30 over with stock type Pistons.

I'm new to it and would like to get some knowledgeable advice, instead off shooting in the dark, breaking stuff and waisting money and time.

I'm going to run it in a 1930 ford coupe. It will way about 2,300 lbs. With a c6. Planning on hitting car shows occasionally the strip and would like to take it on out of town cruise. All the above with reliability.

So my questing are. Are the the d3ve heads topped out at this range?
What stall to run?
What rear gears to run?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts